5. Homecoming

Liam

I haven't been home in two years since I've been away attending the School for Leaders. I have made many friends while at the academy which gives me high hopes in making positive changes in the future of the supernatural world. All species need to live harmoniously and work together if we want a better future and there are some Alphas that agree, while others remain apprehensive.

I'm dismayed that there are wolves out there that continue to threaten the peace treaty we have with all supernatural creatures. In history they talk about a time we were all separated due to the Rogue Alliance and the havoc they caused amongst our kinds and killing off many species, including those that were of a mixed race in a war they are losing. I cannot say they have lost yet since there are those who refuse to get out of the stone age, but most of us are trying.

There were many casualties from the great war of Crescent Moon that extended to the rest of the packs and fellow species. My father and his allies intend to prevent that from ever happening again and to dismantle the Rogue Alliance completely although it seems like there is something bigger happening above them. Soon it will become my responsibility to take care of Pinewood and I know that my dad will fill me in on everything I need to know. The humans who once hunted our kind have also joined the supernatural community with their own faction, which was surprising, but they keep insisting that they mean well and want to live harmoniously with our kinds. Humans don't attend the School for Leaders though, even if they are of a hunter bloodline.

To say I was disappointed that I didn't find my mate while enrolled there is an understatement, but I'm still young and have time to meet the one meant for me. I was hopeful there would be a connection since we were able to go into the surrounding territories for pack events like coming of age ceremonies and Alpha heir introductions. All I know is I don't want to choose a mate unless I absolutely have to.

My dad chose his mate, and they seemed okay together however I can see the faults in having a chosen based on their interactions. Nonetheless he continued to instill the importance of the fated mate bond to me. He mentions sparks and a deep connection to the wolf you are meant to be paired with by the Goddess intentions, so if you can find them or wait for them instead of choosing a mate, you are a better and stronger Alpha. Our mates are meant to be cherished and if we reject them the Moon Goddess will punish us to be alone unless we earn a second chance. I can't see myself rejecting my mate, no matter who, or what, she is. The Goddess doesn't make mistakes, our human counterparts do. Plus, second chances are uncommon and not often given among our kind.

I'm happy to be home and back where I belong. I can spend some time with my best friend and future Beta Mark Adams too. I'm going to avoid my mom and sister as much as possible because the three of us never got along and I'm sure Mark and I will find something to get into. No, scratch that, we will absolutely find some shenanigans to get into. Mischief and mayhem could be our middle names based on the ruckus we would cause growing up. Blame it on my Alpha male energy if you want, but I just know that I had a lot of fun terrorizing my sister and mom.

The future Gamma Danny isn't one of my close friends and there is an age gap between us, but he has the genes and strength to take over for his father, Gamma Richard, when he turns eighteen. I'll have to get to know him now that I am back home on a permanent basis so we can be a cohesive team and take care of our pack. He has about two years before he becomes the Pinewood Gamma, and I will know if I like him or not within the first five minutes of meeting him.

Speaking of the Gamma family my thoughts turn to their daughter, Scarlett. It is kind of crazy to me that he is Scarlett's brother, and he has a wolf, but she doesn't. It is unheard of and is considered a curse by the Goddess to not be given a wolf despite being born of werewolf parents. It doesn't happen often, and she isn't a descendent of Crescent Moon, so I find it unlikely that's the reason her wolf hasn't shown up yet.