1. Fitting In

Scarlett

"Scarlett! You better get going or you'll be late for school!" mom yells down the hall. I acknowledge her while looking at myself in the mirror. I don't feel ugly, but I also don't look like the wolves in our pack. I am smaller than many of the Omegas. I stand at five feet tall and I'm not fit like, but I do have some curve to my body.

I brush through my red hair and put it up into a messy bun. I enjoy my fair skin and freckled face, so I don't wear much makeup and I'm the only one in the pack with them, so I just apply some mascara and lip gloss.

I don't have my own car, so I meet Lucy outside and jump in her Jeep because she drives me to school every morning. We both live in the pack house together, but on different floors since I'm the Gammas daughter and she is Alpha Jack's daughter. I wouldn't say we are friends, but our parents work close together, so I'm around her more than I would like to be. I'm certain the feeling is mutual.

Our drives are usually silent, but her birthday is on Saturday so I ask her "are you excited for your birthday party on Lucy?" She turns to me with a sly smirk. She's such a beautiful she wolf with long chestnut hair, amber eyes, and a toned body even though she doesn't participate in warrior training. Her personality and attitude suck though.

"Of course, I am! I'm excited to shift into my wolf for the first time and see what she looks like." She taps her hands on the steering wheel to the upbeat pop song on the radio while we continue heading to the high school. I hide my slight jealousy and say, "I bet she will be beautiful," while playing with my phone. I wish the school was closer so I could walk instead and avoid these mornings. If I had my own car, I could drive myself and listen to music I actually like but it isn't something my parents say I need only adding to how uncool the rest of the school thinks I am.

Once we arrive, she parks the Jeep in her assigned spot, which used to be her brother Liam's who graduated a couple years ago. Perks of being the Alpha's kid I suppose. We don't have the same schedule, thankfully, so we go our separate ways to class.

I make my way to the front doors taking a deep breath before stepping inside. I much prefer the weekends when I can stay at home, but education is important and my parents oversee the warriors and security of the pack, so they can't homeschool me. Woe is me I guess, and I do have some friends here that aren't werewolves.

Although I am the daughter of the Gamma family I don't fit in with the pack because I don't have a wolf. Lucy has also made it her mission to ruin my life for whatever reason. I'm not sure why she cares about me so much and not in the good way. As the Alpha's daughter she will most likely have an Alpha male mate and be the Luna to another pack. Goddess help whoever she decides to be her next victim.

Alpha Jack doesn't tolerate bullying, but I still hear werewolves whisper as I walk by" look the wolf less girl, or what a freak." And" Lucy only takes pity on her and isn't her real friend, and Alpha Jack only makes her be nice to her." I hate hearing these things and always look down when walking through the hallways. Werewolves are a bunch of jerks to be honest. My wolf never showed up at sixteen like everyone else in the pack. I keep wondering if I am cursed. My mom, dad, and brother have one, so why don't I? My mom tells me not to worry, yet I don't find it very comforting based on my daily experiences.

I can't mindlink with anyone since I don't have a wolf and I am insecure about it. Especially because I know when wolves are doing it in front of me. Mom bought me a phone so I could communicate with her and my friends at least. She insists I won't need it forever, but seriously I must be cursed not to have a wolf. The texts between me and my friends are always hilarious, and they make me feel like I'm not alone. I spend time with them in the library usually in between classes and of course at lunch since they don't live on Pinewood territory.