Chapter 78

Josephine

It's already been six days and five swabs that I've been enclosed within these four walls.
By now, time is punctuated by the swabs they are giving me regularly.
I don't even really know what day it is any more.
Monday perhaps? Or Tuesday?
I have no idea.

Hero is always busy between various photo shoots and interviews for fashion houses.
We manage to talk very late in the evening when he gets home, just for a few minutes.
He is tired, exhausted I would say.
When we video call each other his dark circles are clearly visible when his image appears on the screen of my phone.
He snorts often and is not the usual Hero.

I've asked him several times what's wrong, besides the fact that he is understandably tired but he says everything is fine and not to worry.
Instead I worry because it's not like him to behave like this.
What could have happened?

I would like to be with him, instead I am confined here!
I am counting the hours that separate me from him even though for now there seems to be no definite date for his flight from London to Sofia.
He was supposed to arrive tomorrow, but his schedule keeps increasing and he never seems to finish with the photoshoots.

I have already read the script very carefully, written several notes and have a video conference with Castille every day to discuss it.
She has also already arrived in Sofia and is in quarantine like me, we will probably get out of this room/prison practically on the same day.

The mobile phone rings, signalling the arrival of a message.
More than one actually.

I look at the time and it's 10pm.
It can't be Hero calling me. We practically never talk before 11 p.m. in London, which is 1 a.m. here in Bulgaria, when it's going well.
I wait up for him because the urge to talk to him is stronger than the sleep I can get.

The WhatsApp app keeps signalling the arrival of more and more messages, while the annoying sound of the phone announces them with a beep.
I absolutely must change the notification alert!

I open the chat, curious to understand what is going on.

You've been invited to the "After 3&4" group

Castille: Hi everyone!❤️ I thought I'd create this group to get to know each other and to get through quarantine faster! Welcome to the big After family!❤️🥳

Unknown number: Hey!🥳 Hi everyone! I'm Chance, nice to meet you! I'll be playing Landon!😎

Unknown number: Hi Landon! I'm Carter! Or rather, Robert in the movie! Nice to meet you!🎊

Unknown number: Hey guys! How are you? I'm Arielle, but you can call me Ary! Or Kimberly Vance, apparently!❤️

Louise: It's a pleasure to welcome you to this big family! ❤️We're a little crazy but you'll fit right in!!! I'm Louise, Hero's mum.❤️

Louise, my beloved Louise.

I save newcomers' numbers in my address book, otherwise I'll never understand who's writing on this group.