Chapter 72

Josephine

"Why can't we make a video call?" Hero asks for the millionth time as soon as I answer the phone.

I sigh as I look around.
I'm at the airport in Rome.
Alone.
Terrified that someone might recognise me.
Okay, terrified is not the right word.
But I definitely don't want anyone to recognise me.

Why?

Because I cried all morning like a fool in the hotel room after he left for the airport and now my eyes are still swollen and red.
I definitely don't want him to see me in this condition and worry!
We are only going to be away for a few days and my reaction is over the top!
In Bulgaria we will spend so much time together and three or four days without seeing each other won't be the end of the world, will it?
I sigh, running a hand over my face.

Luckily in Italy the restrictions for this damn Covid are still very high and I have to wear a mask even at the airport.
Glasses, hat, mask and hood of the sweatshirt pulled up.
It's a perfect disguise!

"I can't!" I whisper in response to Hero's question.

"Jo, did something happen?" He asks worriedly.

"No, of course not! Take it easy!" I try to compose myself even though I feel like crying again.
Can I be so emotional?
It's not possible!

"I'm waiting for them to call me to the gate. I have a flight soon..."

"Okay..." he sighs "You know you can tell me anything, right? Even if it seems stupid right now and..."

"I know!" I interrupt him "Don't worry, I'll be fine!"
Did I answer a little too quickly?

"I heard from Louise, she said she's coming to Sofia soon too... You won't be alone!"

Louise, her mum on the set of After.
Anna won't be there this time either, I could have relied on her...
"It's okay, really!"
He thinks I'm afraid to be alone in Bulgaria. That's not what worries me at all.

"And I'll be there in a few days, okay?"

"Hero seriously..." I whisper "I don't understand why you're worrying so much, it's fine!"

"You've got a voice that says all the opposite..." He sighs "And I want to see you when we talk, you know that."

I take a deep breath.
If he saw me like this he would be sick and I would feel bad.
He is in London for work and even if he came home just to have fun, I would have no reason to react like that! Right?
I'm making him worry unnecessarily!
Yet I feel something breaking inside!
I feel angry, insecure and jealous. Tremendously jealous!

"When will you have the photoshoot?" I try to change the subject somehow.

And do you want to know if there is any model with him, reminds me of my inner little voice that won't stop being irritating!

Yes, okay?
I read those messages and now I have an avalanche of paranoia inside my head.
I don't even know where these worries come from!

I've never been a jealous girl!!!
What's happening to me?
Yet the idea that these girls are so shamelessly hitting on him sends my brain into a madhouse!
If they text him these things, what will they say to him in person?
I don't even want to think about it!

I take a deep breath.

I trust him but it bothers me tremendously that he never told me about these messages.
It makes me doubt that there are many other things he hasn't told me!
In short: it's a big mess inside my head!

"Tomorrow morning, tonight I have a meeting with Jamie to arrange the last things and then tomorrow we start!"

"Good..."