Chapter 70

Hero

"I want to move here!" She looks at me with dreamy eyes and then goes back to admiring the Colosseum.
We only landed in Rome last night and today we started our incognito sightseeing tour.
So far everything is going very well: nobody has recognised us or stopped us in the street.
Luckily it is quite cold and the heavy coats, combined with dark glasses, masks and hats, help us to keep our identity secret.

"Like superheroes!" Jo bursts out laughing as she adjusts the hat on my head "But you should be used to that!" she winks at me.

"Did I ever tell you you're so funny?" I shake my head letting a smile escape.

She has this Australian humour that sometimes leaves me shocked!
"Ah my hero!" She jokes, taking me by the arm and dragging me with her "Come on! It's our turn soon!"
She shows me the two tickets for the tour inside the Colosseum.
I follow her laughing as we line up to get in.

Jo is like that: always enthusiastic about doing things and with a smile on her face.
Always. Literally!
When she's sad or pensive, something pretty serious has definitely happened!
Nothing makes me happier than seeing her like that, free and carefree among people!

Fortunately there are not many tourists around, after all it is a Thursday at the end of September.
It is a little while before the start of filming in Bulgaria and I must admit that the idea of this holiday was fantastic!
I look over at my girlfriend and watch her chat with a couple, also apparently from Perth, exchanging tips on what to visit in the city.

Rome is so big and beautiful that the few days we have available will definitely not be enough!

"Mark said we can't miss the Fori Imperiali and well, clearly the Trevi fountain too!" She turns beaming at me, shaking my hand.

"Mark?" I look at her smiling and raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, that guy..." She points to a couple a few steps ahead of us in line.

"You'd make friends with a wall if it talked!" I tease her.

For someone who wants to go unnoticed, her behaviour is just ideal.

"Oh come on, don't be a jealous killjoy!" She pats me on the back "he's cute but he's clearly engaged!" She laughs.

"Ah!So he's cute!" I look at her shocked, playing along.

"Yeah!" She sticks her tongue out at me before grabbing her phone to snap a few pictures around.

"No, no... Come here!" I take her in my arms "Explain to me a bit how you like this Mark!"

"Oh come on!!!" She bursts out laughing and turns to look at me "I don't like him! I asked him for advice!"

"To Mark!"

"Yes, to Mark!" She laughs with relish.

"Because he lives in Rome, right?"

"Don't be a jealous boy, Hero!" She continues laughing "It was just a way to maximise the time we have available!"

"Right, so I can go and flirt with people I find around too..." I look around mocking her.

"Don't you dare!!!" She points her finger at me and I lose myself in her annoyed smile.

I love annoying her! It's my favourite sport!
"Eh but it's not fair that you have your Mark and I have none..." I keep looking around as she tries to cover my eyes with her hands.

"What are you doing?" I laugh.

"You absolutely must not look at anyone else!!!" She takes my face in her hands and leaves a kiss on my mouth.
I keep laughing along with her, especially at this comical reaction she's having.