《73》Promise

Jimin and I had spent the next hour on the highest place in Seoul, overlooking the city, watching night settle.

High up, just like we loved it but it was a far cry from the worn down school-top roof.
We truly had come far, both in personal growth and in our relationship.

But as we made our way down to the city again, night having settled all around us, Jimin was surprised to find our day was still not finished.

Instead of driving back to camp, I directed him to Namsans's market.

It was bustling with life, the night alit by the dozen street shops offering all the heart could desire.
But this time, we weren't shopping for clothes.

We got food.

Food in abundance, both sweet and savoury.
We ate fishcake, steaming noodles, followed by steam buns and Tteokbokki, dumplings and sweet crispy fried chicken, later by sweet mochies, curly ice cream and Hotteok.

We walked without a particular direction, enjoyed the energy of the vivid live all around us, feeling properly satisfied with full bellies, stopped and watched street artists and spend more of Hoseok's money on little trinkets.

It was almost close to ten before I guided him away from the market to a more quiet area, rowed by trees and an artwork of light. Jimin walked close to me, his head on my shoulder as we walked very slowly, no rush or hurry.

"This really was an amazing day, Jungkook."

I grinned, all the while battling the ever growing nervousness that got harder and harder to swallow.

"You make it sound like you think we're already done with our date."

Jimin looked up at me, surprise once more on his features.

"It's still not over?"

I feigned hurt: "Do you want it to be?"

"Hell no!" he spurted out and began walking with a little bounce, the light of excitement back on his face.

My palms were sweaty but if Jimin noticed it, he didn't comment it.
He chatted away happily as I led him through the streets, the trees growing in numbers.
The arrange of beautiful colours, all soft hues of pink and blue and yellow turned the night into something almost mystical.

It got ever harder to keep an easy smile on my lips as I glanced at my watch.
Half past ten.
My steps faltered ever so often, but Jimin, trapped in his ecstatic state, also failed to notice that.

Only when I led him a little off path did he get suspicious.
Lights trailed our way, fairy lights applied to bushes who were showing the firsts signs of autumn, their leaves still green but ever so often sprinkled with red, yellow and orange while we followed the narrow trail.

No people came our way.

"Huh," Jimin wondered allowed, growing more aware of our surroundings.
I knew why.
It was rare to find a place this empty of people on a late summer evening in central Seoul.

"I don't think I've ever been here before. Strange that no one is around."

My voice sounded thick with emotion as I said:
"Yeah, strange, right?"

Jimin's suspicion spiked even more, especially when the narrow trail opened up to reveal an octagonal pavilion, fashioned after the late Joseon dynastie, the ornamentation fancy and golden, the wood painted red and a vibrant green.
It, too, was alit with light chains applied to it's columns and roof.