28. Baby?

-Tee-

I sigh as I walk back into my condo and push the door closed behind me.

Beer. I need a fucking beer. I think as I swing open the fridge in agitation.

Bree was beyond pissed. She didn't let me get a word in before speeding off in her car nearly running over my foot.

Nickie struts into the kitchen and scoots herself up to sit on the island.

She grins at me, "So, it went well?" She asks sardonically.

I take a gulp of my beer before talking. "Well my ass. Why must you all rile her up?"

"Us?" Cassie snaps as she walks over from the living room with Bryce right behind her.

"Yes. Especially you. Does every conversation have to turn into the great debate?"

"That's BS. Her way of thinking is toxic! I don't care if you're dating her. She is the literal worst." Cassie says as she positions herself between Nickie'slegs.

Nickie wraps her arms around her and nuzzles her face into Cassie's neck.

Cassie's rigid combative stance visibly relaxes at Nickie's touch.

Cassie takes a deep breath before speaking. "Tee, I know I haven't known you that long so feel free to tell me to mind my own business. You and her are nothing alike. Please tell me what you see in that airhead? What is it that redeems her? I'll trust you if you tell me."

I take a deep breath considering the answer to her question.

"She's a beard." Bryce says prompting Cassie and Nickie both to turn to look at him.

"She's not." I rebuff unconvincingly.

"What do you mean?" Cassie asks Bryce.

"Tee doesn't like Bree. He loves Arie. Don't you undercover brother?" He arches his eyebrow at me almost daring me to deny it.

Almost mirroring each other Nickie and Cassie slowly turn to look at me as they wait for my response.

Fuck. I'm at a loss for words presently.

"She isn't a beard." I reiterate after a whole minute passes by of them just blinking at me.

Bryce chuckles, "Can I have one of those?" He asks looking toward my beer. I consider how I'll explain this whole fucked up situation I caused as I lean into the fridge.

"You love Arie?" Cassie asks as I hand Bryce his beer.

"Yes. I love Arie." At least that parts easy to admit.

"So Bree really is a beard. Which actually makes so much sense. More sense than you actually like that troll." Nickie says crinkling her nose in apparent disgust.

"She isn't a beard. I..care for her."

Cassie looks disgusted, "Why?"

I sigh, "She isn't as bad as she comes across. All that stuff she says aren't really her words."

Cassie's signature deadpan expression returns. She rolls her eyes, "If not hers whose then?"

"Her family. But she doesn't really believe it. It's just when you're surrounded by that kind of rhetoric constantly things seep in and she ends up repeating it."

Fuck! That explanation isn't convincing either.

"Ugh, Come on Tee. What is she a fucking parrot?" Nickie says  calling me out as ruthlessly as I expected.