Fifty Seven

Shehnaaz had no idea what a gynec appointment would be like. She had never gone in her life. There was of course that nervousness and heart pounding anticipation to know everything, but she was clueless. Sidharth walked towards her from the pharmacy in the clinic with four bottles of water. The moment they told the nurse in the reception that they were here to make a consultation for a pregnancy, she told them to wait for ten minutes for the doctor to get done and meanwhile, drink water.

"Nahi peena mujhe." She whined, leaning against him as soon as he sat down next to her.

"Drink baba!" He said, opening the bottle, after a great struggle and held it up to her lips. She huffed, grabbing the bottle and gulping the water down in one go.

"Ma'am yeh baaki ke bottle bhi finish kar lijiye! Dr. Sunandha is ready to see you. You can go in!" The nurse told them. Shehnaaz nodded, he pulled her up as she sipped on the water.

"Thank you." He nodded, taking the folder she was handing him.

The place was really calm, and it was one of the best in the city. He knew because both of his sisters were Dr. Sunandha's patients. He wasn't that familiar with her because before this, he was always on duty and away from home.

"Good morning Mr. And Mrs. Adhiraj!" The doctor stood up and greeted them. Sidharth sometimes found it awkward how people associated that role of an army officer to him even when it was a completely unrelated situation, and then showed him that respect too. He shook her hand, followed by Shehnaaz.

"Please sit!" She grinned.

"Pehele toh, congratulations to you both!" The doctor said. Shehnaaz gave her a warm smile, thanking her.

"So Shehnaaz... How are you feeling? Emotional rollercoaster hota hai yeh pehele ke kuch dinn!" She said.

"Bohot hi zyada. I cry and laugh at once now." Shehnaaz nodded, huffing.

"Hota hai! Have you brought the positive test?" She asked.

"All of them." Sidharth snorted, placing the box on the table. Shehnaaz glared at him and the doctor laughed.

"You're not the only one who has done this. Don't worry." She said.

"So... Pata kaise chala? How did you realise ki there's something different going on in your body? What made you take the test?" Dr. Sunandha asked.

"Nahi pata chala. I didn't even realise. Sidharth made me take the test." She said. She could see the evident surprise on the doctor's face.

"Uh... She was getting emotional and tired alot. There was a change in her eating habits. That made me get a doubt. Then I noticed that she missed her cycle." He said.

"That's... Very impressive, Mr. Adhiraj. Aapki care and concern is very impressive." She said.

And just like that, the questions and answers went on for so long, for literal hours. This was the first time for them, so the questions and doubts being thrown at the doctor, they weren't stopping. Shehnaaz understood why she needed all that water, one for a test, and also because after they drew her blood for her blood tests, she laid on the narrow bed in the hospital gown, with it raised up over her chest and having a wand prod into her belly for an ultrasound. It was already 10:15am.

"You won't hear a heartbeat just yet... But till will help us know how far along you are." She said, Sidharth stood to the other side, holding her hand and stared at the screen. Her nails dug into his skin with anticipation. His other arm, the one that wasn't injured, it rested on her head, caressing her hair gently, with such affection.

"Ah!" She exclaimed, smiling at the screen.

"There's your baby, Shehnaaz... Ab toh vishwaas hua na?" She said, point at the smallest black blotch on the screen.