In Between Life And Death

Beginne am Anfang

"Is he the one we are waiting for?" The doctor asked and Isma'il nodded not finding the courage to look at his uncle in the eyes. He's there, but couldn't protect his daughter for him.

"Hello, I'm Dr Rashid Eman, a Neurosurgeon." The doctor brief him on the situation, telling him that they must operate on Noor. He also explained  that Noorur-rahman will have to undergo two major surgeries. After he was done, Abbah stares at the man who just told him that his only precious girl is barely alive, with three broken ribs, severe pelvic fracture and brain hemorrhage. 

It's too overwhelming and he couldn't help thinking how she ended up in such situation. She's a good driver! 

Noorur-rahman's condition was critical, they said her survival rate was below fifty percent due the brain injury. 

It numbed abbah's heart, that's not something that he's ever prepared for. Nevertheless, he have no other choice than to consent for the surgery, trusting the doctor who promised to do his best along with him team. "While we try our best, you should pray hard!" Dr Rashid advised.

They prep for the surgery and thirty minutes later, Noor was transferred to the operating theater, with a team of neurosurgeon and orthopedist. It's going to be a long wait of anticipation, it will be a fourteen hours surgery, they says. 

"Is she going to be okay, after all this?" Isma'il asked an hour later, they're seated on one of the waiting chairs outside the operating theater hallway, the have been quiet since then, praying here and there.

"In sha Allah, but it will take a long time, since Noorie might not be the same as she was." Abbah replied and each he have said has tied an agonizing knot in his chest. Other than being hopeful, every other thing was doleful and making less sense.

Aunt Jamila soon joined them and the next minutes she's in tears, she couldn't believe what she was told. Abbah did say much, Isma'il was speechless, the trauma from witnessing the accident was still vividly clear in his head. It's all he see when he close his eyes. Aunt Jamila takes that as a very bad sign, especially with the amount of the dried blood stain on Isma'ils' clothes.

Though, a while after she's able to calm herself from the her hysteria. And she urged her husband and Isma'il to go home and change. Alhaji Adam refused, he says he goes no where until his daughter is out of that room. Isma'il though, doesn't have a choice especially with his stained clothes and he also needs to offer his salah. So he left dejectedly.

......

"Miss Lawal, are you alright?" He asked when he noticed the girl panting in tears. She didn't answer him, because her mind was somewhere else, that it's not Noor. She could barely grasp it. Noor was just with her like three hours again.

Nadia soon begins to sob hysterically, until last week, she wakes up every morning in the same room with Noor. She just ended a phone call with Isma'il after trying Noor's line numerous times. "I'm afraid Noor can not make it to that lecture, Nadia."

"But why? She knew we're having test this evening, I don't know if she have managed to submit her assignment, she missed a lot last week."

"Nadia, Noor is in the hospital right now!"

"Why? What!" what's wrong with her? Is she sick?  We spoke earlier, I saw her this morning she didn't seem sick to me" Nadia said sounding frantic, especially with the exhausted tone of Isma'il's voice. She feared something severe had happened while she's here all prepared for a test. Noorur-rahman is her best friend!

"Don't panic, okay!  But Noor is in a very critical condition right now, she's in an accident."

"You're distracting my class, Ms. Lawal." Mubin's voice said again and already all eyes on her, they're just preparing to start the class.