Class Of 2013

The rising sun cast a rosy hue across the morning sky, it's crisp and clear. In the wash of the new light, the surrounding takes on the appearance of an old photograph, one of nostalgia, so beautiful. Time may have passed by, and a lot of renovations may have been done, but the far away chirping sound of birds and that peculiar morning smell of freshly watered garden and the familiarity, still remain the same.

"Class of 2013" the huge banner that's hanging on the top school gate reads. A little smile caresses my lips, followed by a sigh of contentment. Abbah squeezes my hand gentle, giving me a warm smile.

Graduation ceremonies are always excessive in PIC, it's one of the biggest ceremony of the year. So it's always been grand, extravagant and what not. Everything about that day was shouting right from the gate.

"Are you nervous?" He asked.

"A little." I demonstrates with the tip of my forefinger as the car passed through the gate. It soon comes to a halt amongst other fancy cars parked in the designated  parking lot for the day.

"Don't be scared, I will be right there with you." I nodded even though I wasn't scared. It's just the day getting on me. I smile to reassure him I will be just fine. He patted my left shoulder, and I left him in the car to join my mates before the ceremony began.

Everything and everyone is in their finest. Just like many of my peers, I was dressed neatly in my school uniform for the very last time. Though, unlike must of the Muslim girls, I tied my scarf into a simple turban instead of a hijab.

The homemade bit*h obnoxious stare penetrates every inch of me as I entered behind the stage room of the multi-purpose hall, where the ceremony will be hold. Ms Aisha, the visual art teacher was there making sure everyone is in their best behavior.

"Hi bit*h!" I said right into her ears, though I came in peace. So I passed by her to where Hidiya and Sadiya with nose mask stood, waving at me. "Are you sick?"

"I guessed, I got too excited. I will see a doctor later." Sadiya replied, adjusting the mask well on her nose.

Yeah, it's the official day and everything is overwhelming. I don't know if it's just me or everyone is feeling the same, that's if excitement count as one. Not long after my entry the school band members started the welcome melody, it's soothing and everyone in the room became quiet. I guess the guest are coming inside now.

The quietness soon consumed me,  reminding me of what's yet to come. There are a lot of things to consider, people might think I am so sure of myself when it comes exams. Most of the time, yes. But whenever there's an important exam I tend to get worried like everyone else. Perhaps, even more than them, for failure terrifies me. Therefore, for as long as my Jamb, WAEC and NECO result are in the offing, my mood swing might somehow continue.

"Everybody adjust your gown and be prepared, we're going out soon." Ms Aisha repeated at the same time my phone beeps from the small side bag under my black graduation gown, which have my name boldly engraved on it from behind. So I checked my phone before following the queue the visual art teacher is arranging

It's a message from Isma'il 'aunt and I are here, Noorie.' The messege reads. I'd personally invited him here, as for abbah's wife, whether she's here or not, it doesn't matter. Nevertheless, maybe, just maybe I got myself a brother. Someone I shall always count on, perhaps a reliable person. Last night Isma'il promised I can always trust him. And I was stupid enough ask abbah about it.

"Congratulations, my kitten." Abbah had said once again this morning when he's tying my tie, something we usually do for each other.

"Abbah!" I called, sounding a bit withdrawn.