The Seat Of the Caliphate

The backyard by the swing area is where Noor mostly wonder her life away, though that evening she held a fat book in her hand reading through pages and living the moment with each character. It's Stephen King's "Dreamcatcher".  That day marked a week after she and Isma'il had talked about her birth mother. She's given so much thought to it, like she promised she would. More like the matter wouldn't let her sleep peacefully at night.

So she made a choice that evening.

"Abbah, I will go meet her!" She told her abbah that very same evening after he returned from work.

Abbah took an incredulous look at her. He still have not forgotten her acrimony toward the entire issue. Therefore, he was no less than flummoxed at her sudden change of heart.

"Are you sure about that, Noor?" She only nodded standing by door of his bedroom, which ever since he got married, she haven't stepped in. "Or should we talk about it?" His voice were as soft as the smile on his face.

"No, I made my mind. Just pick a date for me." He knew she have been depressed.

....

The day of my departure came way too quickly, I didn't anticipate or waited for that day to come. Yet, I opened my eyes to this disconsolate day. Asabe has arranged my clothing and everything I will need in the maroon four-wheel Leggerissimo cabin suitcase from Ermenegildo Zegna, which I bought online recently, because I have been thinking of staying in the hostel and considering the Harvard tempting offer.

"Are you trying to get rid of me, Asabe?" I had pointed at the huge box, she chose. It's the biggest of the set of three.

"Of course not, ma'am. I only packed everything you will need, from toothbrush, hairbrush, nail cutter, down to the T."

And Jamila had this expression since I agreed to go with the huge man to wherever he is taking me to meet his sister. I can't exactly pinpoint what that expression means, but my mind was telling me, it's gladness that I was leaving.

"You must be really happy?"

"Of course, I am. You're going to meet your mom, Noor." She said excitedly, I scoffs over the glass of water I was holding to my lips.

"Well, don't be. Because I am not going there forever, I will be back sooner than  you expect."

"Noorur-rahman, I'm not your enemy, please. And of course this house will never be the same without you. Just the sight of you makes your abbah so happy, you're his true happiness. I'm only happy that you will reunite with your mother. And the fact that you will experience the warmth of having a mom. I don't mean any harm." And she gently place a hand over my shoulder and pats. "While you take your time bonding with your mom, do it and come back to us quickly." Then she exit the kitchen. For the life of me, I will always wonder whether abbah's wife is real or she just pretending to be good.

"Oh my little bunny!" Abbah coed immediately I entered the living room.

"Abbah!" I was a bit embarrassed with everyone being there. Abbah stood up and walk toward me smiling warmly at me. It's my idea to go after all the tantrum I had put up earlier on.

My heart feels so heavy at the moment, tightening my chest painfully. I blinked twice to do away with my tears. Eight pair of eyes staring at us, as abbah talk to me adorably as if I were five years old.

He chuckles and continue, "everyone knows you're my baby girl and I'm going to missed you so much."

"But I not five years old."

He chuckles again, "take care of yourself, my dear Noorie. Eat well and don't be too picky with your food, okay. Though, don't eat what you don't want or like, but not in the picky way. By the way I have credited your account just now." I smiled at his effort, he's indirectly telling me to rebel on food, though with the amount he sent to my account, I can change a new wardrobe.