Chapter 24

Diana's POV

I check the time and notice it's already ten past five. I quickly finished the email I was writing before exiting out of it and shutting off my computer.

I grab my bag, before walking into Alex's office and see him flicking through files in the filing cabinet. I walk over to him and kiss his cheek. "I'm going home. I'll see you tomorrow" I tell him.

"Diana I drove you to work" Alex chuckles, turning to face me and I shrug.  "I'll get an uber. It's fine" I say.

"Diana if I offer to drive you to work, of course I'm going to drive you home" Alex chuckles. "But you're busy. And I'm fine getting an uber" I tell him.

"I'm driving you. Lets go" He tells me with a smile before walking past me towards the doors. I sigh and follow, secretly happy he's driving me because I hate Uber's.

We get in the private elevator and stand in comfortable silence as we descend to the first floor.

The doors open and we step out, only I stop when I remember something. "What?" Alex asks me, clearly confused as to why I just stopped.

"I um..forgot my phone" I tell him sheepishly, and he shrugs and walks past me back into the elevator. I follow him in, feeling guilty I'm wasting even more of his time.

"I'm sorry," I tell him as the doors close, and he chuckles.  "Diana I really don't mind" Alex tells me while wrapping his arms around my waist, and I nod as I slip my arms around his neck.

"Thank you again," I tell him, and he sighs. "Diana shush" Alex tells me before placing his lips to mine. I kiss back immediately, relaxing into his arms, completely forgetting about the metal death trap we're in.

That is, until it abundantly stops.

We're jolted to the side, and Alex pulls away and in the span of four seconds, hugs me closer to him, tucking my face in his neck with his hand securely at the back of my head for protection. 

We crash into the wall, Alex taking most of the force. We then fall to the ground, Alex's arms still wrapped around me protectively, and we lie there, not moving in case anything else happens.

I had my eyes scrunched close the whole time until I eventually opened them after a few seconds of nothing happening. I pull my head away from Alex, and he's staring back at me worriedly.

"You okay?" He mumbles, and I nod.

He lets go of me and stands up, and I quickly do as well, before cling onto his side. He wraps an arm around me, relaxing me a bit but I don't think even him could calm me down completely at a moment like this.

"It's okay Diana" Alex kisses my head, and I take a deep breath while holding onto him for dear life.

"How did you know?" Alex suddenly says, and I look at him confused only to realize he's on the phone.

"Oh great" Alex mutters as he hangs up the phone a few seconds later.

"There is a powerout. The whole city has been affected. We might be stuck here awhile" He tells me, and I nod, trying to ignore the panic arising in my chest.

"Can I call Casey?" I mumble, and Alex hands me his phone. I let go of him and move away, while Alex goes and sits down on the floor against the wall.

I dial in Casey's number, before ringing him. He picks up on the second ring. "Casey it's me" I say first. "Are you okay?" He asks, and I nod, then remember he's not here.

"I'm fine. Stuck in an elevator again with Alex...again. I'll be stuck here awhile" I mumble. "I'm sure the power will be back soon. Don't you worry, you'll be out of there in no time" Casey tells me, attempting to calm me down.