Chapter 17

Diana's POV

I grab my handbag, making sure everything's in it before walking to Alexander's office and knocking on the door.

I open the doors and see him sitting at his desk working like usual.

"I'm going to head home," I tell him, and he nods while rubbing his eyes. "Are you okay Alexander?" I ask, and he looks at me and chuckles.

"I'm fine, just tired. Have a good evening Diana" He tells me. "You look tired. Why don't you head home early?" I suggest, but he shakes his head.

"No, I got a pile of work to do. I'll be here for another few hours. Don't worry about me" He tells me, turning his attention back to his work while I frown slightly.

"I'll stay and help," I tell him, and he looks up at me. "No Diana, go home. You stayed late yesterday" Alexander says, and I shrug my shoulders.

"It's fine. I don't mind staying" I tell him honestly. "Diana, go home. I'm fine here on my own" He tells me.

"I'm staying. You want me to leave, you'll have to drag me there" I tell him, walking over to his desk and sitting down on one of the chairs in front of it. Placing my bag down on the ground, I look up and see Alexander typing on his computer with a small smirk on his face. So small it's barely noticeable, but I notice.

"What are we doing?" I ask him. He explains what I have to do, and it's fairly straightforward, just time-consuming. I don't mind though. Casey's usually out late on Fridays, so I'd just be lying on the couch scrolling on my phone all night.

"You have brothers, right? Why don't they help you out? Running a company is a lot of work for one person" I say after a few minutes.

"I like the work. Keeps me distracted" Alexander answers.  "From what?" I can't help but ask. "Everything" He mumbles, his focus still on the file in front of him. 

We sit in comfortable silence for the next few minutes, and I'd say at the rate we're going we'd be finished in two hours, tops.

"What about you? You started working here at twenty. Most people are still out enjoying life at that age" Alexander says, and I let out a small laugh. "Well, I graduated early at seventeen, then went straight to college. Then shit happened and I dropped out and got stuck working here" I explain.

"Stuck working here? Wow, Diana, really know how to break a guy's heart" Alexander says, and I laugh while he shoots me a playful smile.

"What did you study?" He asks me. "English. I wanted to be an English teacher, but due to family issues I dropped out at the start of my last year" I tell him.

"Why don't you go back?" Alexander asks. "Because that's a risk and I don't like taking risks" I mumble. "So if I fire you, you'd have to take the risk," He says, and I look up at him and see his eyes are already on me. "Nice try, but I've got a three-year contract" I smile, and he shrugs his shoulders.

"Papers can go missing, you know," He tells me, and I chuckle while he shoots me a grin. "You wouldn't dare," I tell him, and he smiles before turning back to the document in his hand.

"What about you?" I ask. From what I've heard, he became CEO of this company at twenty-two, which is quite young in my opinion.

"Well, my father wanted to step down. I was the one he picked to take the role. I was reluctant at first because I didn't like him making decisions for me, but eventually I agreed" He explains, and I nod.

"My brother is the one who convinced me to get the role. Said I'm bossy as fuck and should put it to good use" He chuckles, and I can't help but laugh.