𝟑𝟓. 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐚

Mackenzie approaches the Jeep with which Edward picked her up, and leans over it, thinking about what might happen during the battle with the newborns

Mackenzie approaches the Jeep with which Edward picked her up, and leans over it, thinking about what might happen during the battle with the newborns. The brown haired girl closes her eyes for a moment, attempting to push the fear of the Cullens of any of the wolves getting hurt by her fault away.

-Jasper. - She calls when seeing the mentioned one walk past her. - You sure there isn't anything else I can do to help?

-Your presence alone, your scent, will distract the newborns. - The girl nods slowly, grimacing. - Their hunting instinct will take over and drive them crazy.

Mackenzie nods, still with the grimace.

-I don't mean to be a gossiper or anything, but, how do you know so much about this? - Jasper turns at her with half a smile.

-I didn't have quite the same upbringing as my adopted siblings. - He uncovers his arms, and Mack realises he has bites all over them.

The girl approaches him and touches a scar delicately, remembering that her twin has a similar one.

-These bites are like Bella's. - She whispers, making him smirk.

-Battle scars. All the training the Confederate Armt gave me was useless against the newborns. Still, I never lost a fight. - He affirms. Mackenzie smiles proudly and they start walking together.

-This happened during the Civil War? - She asked, interested, inserting her hands into the pockets of her sweater.

-I was the youngest major in the Texas cavalry, all without having seen any real battle. - Jasper smiles, looking at the forest.

-Until? - The girl asks curiously.

-Till I met a certain immortal. Maria. - He says spitefully, making the human frown. - I was riding back to Galveston after evacuating a column of women and children when I saw them. I immediately offered them my aid.

Mackenzie stays silent, imagining the scenary.

-Was she creating an army? - She asks after a few seconds.

-They were very common in the South. There were constant brutal battles for territory. Maria won them all. - The guy assures, remembering every single battle. - She was smart careful, and she had me. I was her second in command. My ability to control emotions served her well. I trained her newborns. And endless occupation since she never let them live beyond their first year. It was my job to dispose of them.

The human looks at him, realising that there's a feeling of guilt behind his voice. Jasper had killed many people before Alice or the Cullens entered his life.

-I could feel everything they felt. I thought what Maria and I had was love. But I was her puppet. She pulled the strings. I didn't know there was another... till I found Alice. - Jasper smiles, his eyes sparkling. Making Mackenzie smile tenderly. - Now, she'd seen me coming, of course.