BEING A MALFOY ISN'T EASY

"Come on now Florence, don't be shy. You have done this before, haven't you?" Amycus ushered me forward. 

We were to practice Cruciatus curse on the first years who got detentions. It's true I have done this before; I used it on Dolohov once but when the younger Ravenclaw student looked up at me with pleading eyes, I just couldn't get my heart and mind into it.

"Florence, your father requested me to train you in Dark Arts, so that the Dark Lord adds you in his rank as soon as possible. You don't want to disappoint them, especially the Dark Lord." Amycus whispered into my ear. His ugly smirk lingering on his face, he eyed me to get on with the curse now. I raised my wand at the boy, taking my eyes off him. My insides melting at the thought of having to prepare myself to hear his scream. I glanced at Draco from the corner of my eye, his eyes pleading me to carry on with the façade for our sake.

"Crucio!" I whispered thinking about the moment when I cursed Dolohov with the same intention to make him writhe in pain. Thank Merlin, the Carrows aren't adept in Legilimency like the Dark Lord or Professor Snape. I could imagine hearing a horrible scream coming from Dolohov's mouth except the scream was coming from the young Ravenclaw boy in front of me. My eyes were closed, I couldn't see it. My eyes might just explode with tears if I open them now.

"Enough!" Alecto's booming voice echoed and I immediately dropped my hand, gripping my wand tightly and the screaming stopped. "Well done Florence, I shall let your father know of your good work. Next.....come here Vincent..." I stepped away. We were to leave after practicing the curse. I left the class; Draco was still waiting up for his turn. I couldn't wait to hear any more screams. I rushed out of the class; I didn't know where my feet took me.

Very soon I found myself crouching in front of the Black Lake, which was now deserted, given that all the students were in their classes now. I wasn't howling because I didn't want anyone to hear me crying. I wailed silently, tears kept pouring out, flowing down my cheeks and falling on the ground. The boy's scream echoed in my ears. I thought until now the worst thing I have seen was watching Ollivander, Luna and Dean rotting in the dungeon, but after today, I don't know how much I can tolerate.

I thought marrying Draco would help me escape these things. But now I see it doesn't make any difference. Now I see what my mother was warning me against. 

How does she do it? I never knew her to be this bad? 

I still have Draco to cheer up but who does she have? 

Father doesn't exactly cared about her anymore. He is more invested in me carrying on the Macnair family name and joining the ranks of Death Eaters like him. At this point I felt sorry for my mother. The next time I see her I will surely hug her and let her know that I am sorry for everything she is going through because of me. 

It should have been me.

The gentle touch of a hand broke my chain of thoughts and I knew immediately it was Draco. I half expected him to come find me here.

"Flo....." his voice echoed in my ear. He sat down beside me and embraced me in his arms. I gave in to his touch. I needed it so much now. 

"How did it feel Draco? When you had to point your wand at Dumbledore that night to kill him?" My muffled voice came from his chest. He stroked my head gently, pulled me closer and whispered in my ear,

"It felt like that."

*****************************************************************

I walked out of the Hufflepuff Common room, gliding towards the Slytherin Common room. It was my birthday and Valentine's Day as well. The first Valentine's Day I will get to celebrate with Draco as her fiancee. Last year he got Pansy off his back for me and last to that, he confessed his feelings to me. Hope this year also ends with something good like that. No one wished me in Hufflepuff. I didn't expect anyone either. No one has been talking to me properly after I performed a Cruciatus curse on the kid. I deserved it. However I can't sit and explain everyone why I did it. I need to protect what I have.