THE MACNAIR AND THE MALFOY

"Macnair, Florence!" Professor McGonagall called out. I stepped forward and sat on the stool, while she gently put the hat on my head. A small voice rang in my ears,

 "Hmmm.....hmmm....hmmm......Loyal.......yet not brave enough.....hard working........yet filled with self doubt......wants a chance to prove yourself yet afraid to take one when given......where should I put you?" I remembered what father told me before coming here,

"You will be in Slytherin. We all have been there. Anything else is unacceptable."

"But dad, isn't it up to the Sorting Hat, how am I supposed to choose?" I looked up at him in confusion.

"You will tell the hat to put you in Slytherin."

I thought, "Please put me in Slytherin, father wants me to be in Slytherin."

"No Slytherin is not suited for you, better be HUFFLEPUFF!" The Sorting Hat exclaimed the last word earning cheers from the Hufflepuff table. I placed the hat on the stool and went towards the Hufflepuff table, while glancing at the bewildered grey eyes, which was looking back at me with aghast.

I remember he said once, "Imagine being in Hufflepuff, I think I'd leave, wouldn't you?"

I was wondering what he is thinking now? What is father going to say about this?

Putting my thoughts aside for a while, I joined the cheering Hufflepuff table beside Susan Bones. Opposite of me was Justin Finch-Fletchley and Ernest Macmillan.

"Malfoy, Draco!" called out Professor McGonagall. As soon as he put the hat on his head, it called out "SLYTHERIN!" He walked towards the Slytherin table, pleased with himself. I was the only one who clapped from the Hufflepuff table and everyone was staring at me. Susan Bones leaned towards me and whispered, 

"Why are you clapping? Slytherin is the worst house to be in."

"Draco is my friend. I was clapping for him. He always wanted to be in Slytherin."

She did not say anything else, but gave me a curious look for a split second and then smiled again, looking back at Justin and Ernest. Soon we were joined by Hannah Abbott, Megan Jones, Leanne, Wayne Hopkins and few others whose name I do not remember. After a short speech by Headmaster Dumbledore, the table was filled with food of all types; not that I haven't seen a table piled with mouth-watering food before.

Trip to Malfoy Manor for me was always about the food and then afterwards skimming through the halls with Draco, until my feet gave up and finally ending up in library. Malfoys were friends with my father, especially Mr. Malfoy.

I turned my head towards my fellow Hufflepuffs, as the sorting continued. Ernest Macmillan was what seemed like a know-it-all guy. He was ranting about what he read in 'Hogwarts, A History.'

I glanced towards the Slytherin table once and saw Draco talking to his housemates. I waited for him to look up once and he did. He had a worried look on his face, which he wiped off immediately and waved his hand towards me. I waved at him too.

"What do you parents do?" Susan asked.

"My father.....err.....he works in the Ministry....Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. My mother doesn't do anything."

"Oh....my auntie, Amelia Bones is in the Ministry too.....Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Actually a lot of my family were in the ministry. We are pure bloods."