🍃 ᴀ ᴅɪғғᴇʀᴇɴᴛ ʟɪғᴇ 🍃

Modern AU - Xiao's POV

You guys have kids together <3 See how he reacts to realizing how much better their childhood will be compared to his.

Once I'm back home from work, I'm greeted with a kiss by (Y/N). I kiss back slightly, pulling them closer for a hug. Shit I needed this. I sigh, resting my head on top theirs. I shut my eyes hard as I hear the pitter patter of their feet. Little hands wrap themselves around my legs, keeping me in place. "Dad..!" Their screeching reaches my ear, but I smile widely. (Y/N) let's me go, giggling. I look down at them and see their grabby hands. I hesitantly pick up my two twins, the two of them snuggling into my neck quickly. They stayed up for me again. I carry them to their room, (Y/N) following behind me. I can feel their tender gaze on me, seeing how much better I've adjusted to taking care of the two kids.

"You can't stay up to let me tuck you in, ok?" They nod, knowing full well they aren't about to listen to me. I kiss their foreheads and tuck them in. As I'm at the door I smile at them. "Goodnight, love you guys." I turn off the lights, shutting the door gently. (Y/N) smiles at me, grabbing my hand to lead me to the kitchen. I see the leftovers they've reheated for me. They sit across from me as I eat, talking about work and their day.

"We're still going out this weekend aren't we?" I nod, finishing my bite of food. "Good, the kids are really excited to spend more time with you." I smile warmly and look up.

"I am too, it's been a while since we've had a family outing."

Once I finish up dinner we head back to our room, where I pull (Y/N) in closely. Wanting their affection after such a long day. They snuggle into my chest, letting my hands rest on their lower back. "I love you, (Y/N)." I breathe out, kissing the top of their head. "Goodnight."

The weekend rolls around, we head to the aquarium as promised. I put my phone on silent and set up the stroller for them. (Y/N) gets them out of their car seats before setting them into the stroller. We hand over the tickets and head inside. A large warm smile spreading on my lips as I see the kids running up to the glass doing oohs and ahs.

(Y/N) also looks around with a starry gaze, the lighting making them look so gentle. I come up behind them, holding them. I rest my head on top of theirs. "You all look so happy right now, I'm already so glad we came. Is that weird?"

They chuckle, reaching up to touch my cheek. "Not at all, seeing how well you've taken this parent role makes me glad Xiao.."

The kids run around, tapping the glass at the seals mostly. Who make obnoxious noises, maybe that's why the two have taken such a liking to them. Along with the open food stands, are shops with animal plushies. The kids grabbing large seal, looking up with begging eyes. I look at them nervously, their charms winning me over. That price tag is really going to hurt, but if I work a little more.. it's for the two of them anyways. I pull out my wallet, and they walk over to the counter with me. I pull out my credit card, the kids sliding the seal over with grins. I smile warmly down at them, inserting my card. If it's for them, it's worth anything. They both start to quickly fight over it, what happened to just a moment ago? (Y/N) comes over, scolding the two slightly. One of them takes it, saying they'll only hold it for the hour. I should've tried to get them pick one out each for themselves. Not even 5 seconds after buying it and I'm regretting it, maybe this will make me learn my lesson. The kids hop back into their strollers, complaining about being hungry. We look around for a little while before finding a food stand they want to eat from. The kids ordering mac and cheese with taters. I look over at the gooey cheese, wondering how that can be just about the only thing they eat. The crunch of the taters is unsettling. I pull out my pre-packed lunch, (Y/N) bringing out theirs. The kids starts talking about their favorite animal so far, which is the seal of course. My face contorts once they start barking like them, gripping the spoon in my hands. "Settle down, settle down.. Eat up, so we can go see go see them again ok?" (Y/N) squeezes my hand, smiling at me brightly.

Once we get back home the kids cling to me on the couch, while we watch some.. Friendship is magic?, type show. Even as they tug my arm, yell at a few scenes, and are overall loud I can feel my exhaustion kicking in. I end up falling asleep on the couch, half way through a creepy babysitting episode.

"Kids?" I ask dumbfounded, never having thought they'd bring up this topic.

"I've been thinking about it, for a long while." They hold my hands, not being able to look in my eyes from their nerves. "I want kids.. I've thought long and hard." They look up at me nervously. "Of course I'm not going to make you do something you don't want to, this would be a very big thing.." I kiss their forehead, trying to calm them.

"I'm not sure if I'd be a good dad... I wouldn't even know how to start. You know what it's been like for me, I've told you."

I wake up to soft pats to my cheek, my eyes barely wanting to open. "Sweetie.. wake up." They caress my cheek, smiling at me tenderly. "Look.." The kids are both cuddled in my arms, my arms placed on their backs. Every time I touch them I have an irrational fear of hurting them.. yet.. Tears prick my eyes before slowly rolling down my cheeks. I look at their small faces smiling as they sleep soundly. (Y/N) wipes away my tears, kissing my forehead softly. They pick one of them up and I the other, placing them in bed. They stir a little, but don't wake up. We head over to our bedroom where I pull (Y/N) into a hug once the door is shut.

My voice is quiet, cracking after every other word. "I never believed you when you said I wouldn't be a bad dad.." I squeeze them tighter. "I never would've thought I'd see my own kids so happy.. shit.." They hug me tightly and I quietly cry.

"They love you so much Xiao.. I know you'll keep doing great."

╭──︒✿ཾ∘∗✽ᜒࠬ. ──╮
Artist @ saezens on Instagram
╰──︒✿ཾ∘∗✽ᜒࠬ. ──╯