Chapter 36: "Daddy issues"

Kyle POV

Marc smiles a little bit sad as the three of us stand before him: Hayden, Mikkeli, and I.

"Have you come to ask the truth from me?"

I look at him; I look at the man who was Mikkeli's mentor, who was kind to me and my mother, and who was teaching Hayden how to fight. The man who did more for us than our father.

"Tell me, what do you know?" Marc asks again.

"Terry Nightingale told Hank and Kyle that he knows you, that he once saw you talking with his grandfather, and that the money was given to you," says Hayden.

Mikkeli doesn't say anything, but I know that this one conversation may be the one to break his heart again. Of all three of us, Marc means the most to Mikkeli.

"Terry did tell the truth, but not the whole truth," Marc says. "Please don't interrupt me; this won't take long."

He goes in the direction of the window, and for a brief moment, I wonder if he is thinking about running, but he isn't.

"I once told you, Mikkeli, that I have something on my consciousness. I am the Head Warrior who is guilty of killing his Alpha. I killed your father, because I helped the Nightingale's Clan to prepare the ambush in which your father died."

Mikkeli is silent, Hayden is quiet, and I stay silent.

"The Nightingale thought he paid the traitor, but the fact is I used him to make sure that no one would know what I had done. Your father was killing this place; he was cruel to his pack, to his family. And I knew you were ready, you were ready, Mikkeli, to take charge, to make a difference. I wanted a better life for all three of you, my son, and everyone in this pack. So I left soon after to ensure the Nightingale would forget about me. Maybe the Goddess has punished me with Tony's death for what I have done, but I don't regret it. I learned to live with it. And you boys, can you live with what I did?"

"And now, are you in contact with hunters now?" Mikkeli asks, and Marc smiles sadly.

"No, never later; I have had any conspiration with the hunters."

Mikkeli only nods and leaves the room with a stone face.

"He was our father," Hayden says. "That's not how he should've gone, but I do understand you, Marc, and Mikkeli understands too. He will need some space and much of Hannah's presence in the next few days. So please keep your distance Marc before he comes around."

Marc nods and looks at me.

"I never called him my father. He was as insignificant for me as I was for him." I say slowly.

As I walk toward the living room, I wonder if I meant what I said. Maybe it's sad, but for me, my father was nothing. He treated my mother as property, took Mikkeli away from us, abused him, and tormented his pack's members. He...

"Is it really what the fuck you want?" screams from the library.

"You would never understand!" I hear Rob's voice and instantly walk through the door.

My mate is standing in the middle of the room with his sister on his right side and his parents in front of him. His mother is motionless, looking at Robb with sad eyes, but his father seems furious, sending death's glares at my son. Rob is holding Carson, who is crying because of all the commotion.

"I'm talking about your future. Do you want to raise the brat who isn't yours? You want to spend your life with the fucking omega who got Renan killed!"

"We will not have this conversation now; Kyle is mine; nothing will change it!" Rob growls, holding at the same time Carson in a way to protect his ears.