Chapter 19: "Shadows of the past"

Roseanne, Rob's twin sister, above

Rob POV

My father keeps rumbling about the unfairness of the situation. Roseanne and I pretend that we listen, but the stare she sends at me makes it obvious that, just like me, she tries very hard not to roll her eyes.

For many days my sister and I have been very busy, and still, there is no end to that. Every day we spend half of it in the woods. Alpha Mikkeli and Dalton organized a very tight schedule. We are searching; the trackers are divided into small three-person units, accompanied by one warrior and one person from Full Moon, searching through the territory, looking, not sure for what.

The underground storage, which was found at the edge of now Black Moon Pack, is our starting point, but since it has rained a lot recently, getting any traces or moving around the woods is difficult. We keep getting stuck in mud or slipping on rocks. Moving around mountains is also dangerous during this part of the year. The winter is coming; the first snow should come any time soon.

And after a hard day of work, my sister and I go back home only to be welcomed by our father's complaining and my mother's silence.

Alpha is bad... Alpha is ridiculous... it was better when Ryan ruled... he keeps repeating it over and over again, and honestly, I start losing my patience. I wonder what Renan would say if he were still around?

Roseanne seems to be less bothered by it than I am; she is happy with her new role as the pack's warrior and finally with the possibility of making something with her life.

When Dickson enters our house to talk with my father, I walk out to sit on the porch. I was never a big fan of Dickson; I've never actually understood the friendship my father has had with him.

"You all right?" Roseanne asks, sitting next to me. "Don't give me that look; I know you. I know when something bothers you. Plus, you got thinner, and you are tense and angry almost all the time. Seriously Rob, what's wrong?"

"I found my mate," I say slowly, but before she has a chance to congratulate me, I add: "It's Kyle, the younger brother of the Alpha, the one who got Renan killed."

She inhales sharply and gets pale instantly.

"What have you done with it?" She asks.

"I wanted to reject him, but he got into labor; yes, he was pregnant, so I was scared it would kill him, and after that, I just, I just don't know. Whenever I'm about to do it finally, Blake is pushing so strongly against it that I just can't. I know I should reject him and move on, but..."

"You said he had been pregnant?"

"Apparently, it's from the night our brother was killed, but I don't know for sure; being the whore he is, Kyle could sleep around much more," I say, feeling my anger rising.

Roseanne looks at me for a while before she asks:

"What about our Alpha? You seem to respect him very much, and he was the one who killed Renan."

I snarl in response, feeling irritated:

"That's different. If anyone touched you that way, I would also sink my claws in him without any hesitation. Alpha Mikkeli did only what he had thought was right. If Kyle hadn't lied, none of this wouldn't have happened."

"Have you asked him?"

"Excuse me?"

"Have you asked your mate what really had happened that night?"

The dead silence comes between us.

"I don't have to ask; I know that Renan didn't do it," I say slowly, but the look she gives me makes me almost flinch.