Chapter 4: "So many questions"

Celia above

Rob POV

I haven't seen the slut for many days. I heard he is still on bed rest after having his son. Yep, he gave birth to a son; I heard from Dalton that he chose to name him Carson. Strange name if you ask me, but Dalton said that Kyle's mother was named Cara. Nobody seem suspicious that I asked about him; they think it was normal. After all, it was me who took him to the infirmary.

I haven't had any confrontation with Alpha, so I presume Kyle didn't tell anybody that I was his mate and I tried to reject him. Well, it's not that I care. Mating is something no one should interfere with but the said mates.

I'm already quite familiar with packhouse residents. Hank lives there in Beta's apartment, and all unmated omegas also live there, now from both packs, which made it a bit crowded. Plus Alpha's family, including Alpha and his human mate Hannah, Hayden Alpha's older brother and his twin sons James and Jason, Rosie, who is the stepsister of twins, and Luna. And, of course, the slut and his son.

Other warriors from my pack and I do our training and patrol duty with respect; Patrick, the Gamma of the pack, currently residents with some warriors from the Blackwood pack on the second territory doing the same as we do, getting familiar with the new environment. I try not to think too much about the slut. I'm so focused on my duties that Dalton keeps praising me very much.

So I'm not surprised when he takes me along with four other persons to check some suspicious movement one of our trackers noticed. According to him, he spotted the group of three hunters from the clan we have destroyed recently in the human city at the edge of pack territory. Alpha immediately ordered us to take care of it.

"So, what do you know?" Dalton asks as we arrive on the spot.

"At first was only one of them," the tracker says. "But later came two more, they for sure are in contact with somebody, they also keep observing the flat in that building. But I've noticed only a girl and a middle-aged guy there, but he sure is the hunter too. I know him from our last war."

Dalton thinks for a moment, but he didn't get to voice his orders because suddenly, we all hear the screaming coming from the flat the tracker has just talked about. Dalton mindlinks the orders, and we enter immediately. We don't have to care about being noticed; in neighborhoods such as this one, fights happen quite often, and everybody prefers to mind his own business.

As we get closer, the sounds of struggle and screaming for help get louder; as we enter the one-room apartment, everything is already in chaos. Two guys are kicking the elder guy lying on the floor; he coughs blood and bleeds from his abdomen. The third guy is punching a girl in the face as tries to shield herself. We quickly assess the situation; I come close to the guy and girl and yank him away from her, smashing his head on the wall; she immediately crawls in the direction of the older guy and wraps his hands around him. His two attackers are already dead, killed by my other companions.

Dalton goes closer to the bleeding man and the girl.

"I know that tattoo," he says,  pressing his extended claws on the guy's chest where is a small star placed. "You are from Nightingale's clan. What are you doing here? Haven't you all, who survived, learned almost three months ago to stay away from our pack lands as far away as possible?" 

"I deserted; they spotted me and wanted to punish me. She doesn't know anything. I just crashed at her place," the wounded guy manages to say.

"Don't lie. She has the same tattoo on her neck as you. Caleb, check the apartment fully!"

She takes a sharp breath, and he begs us just to take him and go, but as Caleb goes towards the closet, she jumps and runs in his direction. I immediately grab her and hold her still as she trashes in my hold, pleading for us to leave them alone.