Chapter 34: "Honesty"

TRIGGER WARNING

Hank POV

I keep Celia on my lap, knowing perfectly well that I could scare her but can't let go of her. I need her now so close to me; it helps both me and Greyson. I keep my nose in the crook of her neck, sniffing like crazy as I slowly answer Mikkeli's questions.

"They let the wolfsbane gas in the restaurant through the ventilation system, directly to the room we were in. It was challenging to detect, Thank Goddess Kyle managed to notice it early, or we both would be down. Terry was trying not to let us leave; I had to take him head-on. He, his friend, and his dog jumped on Kyle and bit him. Marc and Rob had difficulty getting to us immediately because more hunters were in the restaurant. The usual restaurant guests noticed the commotion, and the mall security intervened. So Terry had to let us leave and swept all questions away with the " dog losing control" incident."

"You were right about the attack on the south. They were there, but Patrick managed to avoid the trap and ambushed them. The group wasn't big, but they had explosives and lots of wolfsbane with them. The problem is they came from a challenging part of the second territory to cross over. Which means that someone had had to show them the way to the pack," Mikkeli says.

"Did you manage to find out what their target was?" I ask.

"Not yet; one of them is alive but unconscious. But Dalton spoke with David Nightingale, who confirmed that based on the number and equipment, their plan was most likely to get to the habitant part of the pack and kill as many as possible; it looked like Jordan's idea. Even without notification, our patrols and Patrick should be able to handle the situation, but thanks to you and Kyle, there were no casualties."

"And how is Kyle?" Celia asks/

"He'll be fine; the dog had his teeth covered with silver; that's why his wounds are so painful," Hayden responds. "Have you learned anything useful?"

"Kyle managed to distinguish also the smell of iron and grit, which I presume suggests that they stay maybe in an abandoned mine. As you know, there are many of them around here. Terry also clarified that he would not leave unless he gets Celia back," I say unconsciously, holding her stronger.

"Did he tell you why?" she asks.

"We didn't get to that point," I respond, "but he also told me that Danny's father's wish had been for Danny to be given into the care of Jordan and..."

That's when we clearly hear something like a muffled scream from under the floor. We all look confused at each other as Mikkeli goes to the shelf and unlocks the hidden passage on his study floor. I was notified about it when I became Beta; it connects Beta's quarters with Alpha's office and the additional exit in the forest.

I'm not even surprised when I see Danny and the twins. Danny is shaking and crying hysterically, and James and Jason look at us with guilt.

"How the hell are you here?" Hayden yells at his sons when the three of them leave their hideout. Danny keeps crying, so Celia holds him tight as the twins explain themselves.

"We found the passage in Beta's apartments when we played with Danny some weeks ago," Jason says.

"It was locked," I say.

"But with a normal lock, we know how to pick the lock,"  James answers.

"So we will change locks, now up to your room," Mikkeli says. "And we all will give you some space."

Danny keeps sobbing in Celia's arms as the three of us are left alone.

"Danny, can you look at me?" I kneel in front of them, he raises his puffy eyes, and I put my hand on his hand. "Your father might've said that, but it doesn't mean you are going back; you will stay here as long as you want to stay here, no matter what. Do you understand that?"