Chapter 14: "Talks about the past"

Dalton above

Celia POV

"What are doing?"

I turn around and see Kyle standing in the kitchen; I step away from the counter where I prepare the drink for Hannah like every evening. He smiles at me and sits behind the kitchen table. As usual, he has his son held tight to his chest, and the baby is nibbling the skin on Kyle's neck.

"Was he crying again?" I ask, and Kyle nods.

"He finally stopped but will probably start soon; I've noticed he prefers when I move around with him, so that's what I'm doing. Where is Kathy?"

"In the twins' room with them and Danny, they have a marathon of PlayStation games," I say. "Have you finished your important talking? I saw my uncle..."

"He's back in his cell, and nothing happened to him. The rest is still on their important talking; they need to rearrange the patrol schedule. I will probably be moved to normal patrolling, which means my training has ended."

"Are you happy that you are found good enough to do that?" I ask, and Kyle nods; I like talking with him. Just like talking with Hannah, it helps me maintain some normalcy.

"You have here a very small kitchen for such a big pack," I say, changing the topic. "Rose has serious difficulties in organizing meals for all people."

"The pack wasn't so big some time ago, and we had fewer omegas living here also, so it was sufficient, but now when I think about it, you are right. When I was a pup, we had a bigger kitchen at the back of the house, but it was destroyed, and after that, the kitchen was moved here."

"Why?" I ask and see him getting pale; Carson starts wiggling more nervously.

"When Mikkeli was 14, he killed there three warriors, and their fight destroyed the place," his voice is suddenly cold and void of every emotion.

I shift nervously; I've known that Mikkeli Blackwood was strong, but to kill three persons at such a young age? Kyle gently waves Carson to get him calmer; the atmosphere is suddenly heavy.

"When I was five, my and Mikkeli's mother was gang-raped by three warriors there. Mikkeli caught them in the act and... made them pay."

I gulp; I would never think that something like that could happen in this family. They seem so strong and happy. I don't understand how...

"When my father ruled this pack, it was a bad place to live, but now it's different because Mikkeli and Hannah made it safe." He continues, "But I wasn't in that room since the day it happened; I think there is a storage there now."

"You were present when she was...?" I ask in horror.

"Yes, I was hiding under the table. I was never too much warrior material; I should've done something, run for help faster, maybe. I don't know, but I should have."

I can see tears in his eyes, and I wonder why he thinks that. What could he possibly do when he was a small kid at that time?

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you sad," I say, and he looks at me a little timidly.

"I've never talked about it with anyone but Hannah and Mikkeli, but my wolf Skyler and I feel relaxed when we are near you. You make us trust you like Hannah did when we first met."

"I wonder why?" I say, smiling at him.

He bites his lips and hesitates for a moment before he says:

"Probably because of Hank's wolf," he says, and I tense instantly, but he continues: