Chapter 11: "Unrejected"

Patrick, Gamma of Black Moon above

Hank POV

Grayson howls in irritation as I try to control a spark of fury rising in my veins. Mikkeli's stone-cold eyes bare holes in mine.

"Are you accusing me of lying to you?" I say slowly, but I can't stop growls leaving my mouth; Greyson is so pissed off.

"I just find it strange that you didn't find it important to inform me about Dickson," Mikkeli says in a calm voice, but the way he looks at me is anything but calm.

"I didn't know that Dickson was originally from your pack, I became the Beta two years after you became an Alpha. Ryan and my grandfather accepted him, and I had no reason to be bothered by their decision. If I mislead you, it wasn't intentional," I spit, and Mikkel's eyes narrowed.

I can sense his angry wolf, but Greyson for sure doesn't feel intimidated, at least not yet.

"But it seems you didn't find it strange that Patrick told you nothing about Dickson even though he now resides in my previous packland?" I mock I can't control myself.

Mikkeli growls dangerously, and you can cut the tension literally with the knife. For a very long moment, we just glare at each other. I know he is my Alpha, and I should show respect, but I won't allow him to accuse me of anything, especially so serious as a lie.

"Patrick became a Gamma three years ago; before that, he was studying law at the university. He wasn't present here when I took over and got rid of all the dirt, including Dickson. It wasn't my intention to offend you, Hank, but you must understand that..."

"You trust him more than me. I understand we don't know each other that well, but if every time we will have a problem, your first instinct will be to suspect me this merge won't work," I spit.

Mikkeli takes a big breath and starts banging his fingers on his desk as I count slowly in my head; it helps me relax a little.

"I trust you, Hank, or more specifically, Hannah trusts and values you, and that's the best recommendation you may ever have. I saw you in battle; I know you are a strong warrior, but Hayden went through your pack income books, and some things just do not make any sense."

I swallow my irritation and answer.

"I was 20 years old when I became the Beta; my grandfather did a good job, but because of his age, not as good as should've been done. When I took over, my priority was security; we have very big problems with rogues and discipline. That was my job; Ryan and I didn't get along too well, so we set boundaries pretty quickly. I was in charge of warriors and protection. He was in charge of managing. I knew he sucked in it because we had many problems with supplies. Pack budget wasn't my concern, so I have no idea what else you can find there, Alpha."

"Well, I intend to check it thoroughly. Now, please tell me what you know about Dickson?" he asks.

"He is nobody important; I think he does nothing in the pack except manage some patrols from time to time and supervise sales of hunted meat; he lives quietly. I barely had any interactions with him."

"Was he close to Ryan?"

"Not if I'm aware of it. If you are interested in him, I can ask Rob to check. His father is Dickson's friend, so it shouldn't be too suspicious."

Mikkeli nods in agreement, and I ask the question which bothers me.

"May I ask why he was banished from here?"

"He was one of my father's friends, but he was caught stealing by him and punished. It later turned out that he was abusing his mate and children, she wasn't his true mate, and she didn't want him dead, but I managed to get the council to agree to break the bond between them. His family later transferred the pack, but I still didn't want here the child's abuser and a fucking thief. But what really makes me interesting is why Ryan accepted him into his pack, especially since he knew about him stealing from my father."