Chapter 12: "Mating bond"

Marc, the previous Head Warrior above

Hank POV

Kathy jumps like crazy and screams loud as she runs around Greyson. As he keeps tugging her legs or trots around her or pulls her down on the ground and licks her. She smiles loudly as we both get dirty since we play in the mud at the back of the training grounds. It rains a lot, and it's cold; after all, it's the middle of autumn, but Kathy is quite immune to the cold. She seems totally not bothered by the weather's conditions if I must tell the truth, she seems extremely happy with it.

My thoughts run back to Celia as I relish my control totally and let Greyson be in charge of taking care of our pup.

I apologized for touching her without consent a couple of days ago, but she didn't seem convinced about my sincerity. She started to keep a bigger physical distance between us every time we are in the same room. Not that we are in the same room so often.

Hannah ensured that Celia started to work in the packhouse every day, so every day till the afternoon, she is busy with her work spending time with Rose, who is in charge of her, or she helps Hannah to take care of Carson. Kathy does as she pleases; if she wants to sit with me in my office, she does. If she wants to stay with her mother, she does. Danny is where Kathy is, period.

Afternoon we also spend separately, I usually train at that time, and Kathy and Danny play with James and Jason after they are back from school. And Celia spends time watching them or talking with Hannah if Luna feels good enough to talk.

At least I know now why my Alpha is so tense all the time. His firstborn is coming, so his wolf is on high alert all the time. As the Beta, I should take more things under my surveillance since Alpha is busy with Luna, which I do. The only problem is that I'm also under surveillance.

My surveillance's name is Marc, previous Head Warrior and father of the late Beta Tony. I know he keeps watching me when I train warriors, and when I do inspections, he is always close to me, and it irritates me. Just like now, I spot him standing under the roof near Danny, who is busy reading. That's what the boy is doing all the time recently.

I sigh and go in his direction; I shift and wrap a towel around myself.

"Kathy, do you want to play some more?" I ask my daughter.

"Yes, please, please," she squills and keeps jumping in the rain. I get myself dry and put my clothes on.

I'm patiently waiting for him to start a conversation; I can't shake off the feeling that I'm going to be interrogated.

"The next group from Full Moon has just come; the previous will be going back soon. For three months, you managed to exchange lots of warriors, good job" he says

"The plan was to make the steady circulation of warriors. One Blackwood group goes to my pack and vice versa. They train together with warriors present on sight and get themselves familiar with the territory and new drills. Then the next group exchanges, with the exception of those who would be placed permanently in patrol units as the leaders of the patrols. After everybody will have a turn, Mikkeli, Hannah, I, and Patrick decide how we relocate all Black Moon members. We will also have to decide to appoint new Head Warriors."

"It felt strange for me to come back here after Tony's death," he says. "This place changed so much."

I wonder if he is happy or sad about it, I'm getting a little curious. Marc is a very experienced warrior; my grandfather priced him very much.

"Why did you come back?" I ask.

"Because there is nothing here for me. My mate is dead; my only son is dead; his mate and pups transferred pack, so nothing keeps me here?"