Chapter 50: "The run"

Rob POV

When the cars stop at least a couple of kilometers, Hank notified us they were. All the warriors start to shift, trackers are already in the front, and along with the Alpha, they lead warriors. We run so fast as if the devil himself was on our heels.

My paws hit the snow as we run; Roseanne is beside me. I feel the blood pumping in my veins as, with each step, we get closer to our destination. The old factory is in front of us soon, but we don't stop to look at it for too long. Yet we come closer with caution since Dalton's trackers confirmed they smell more wolves than Hank has reported. 

When we reach the main gate unnoticed, the fight starts. The first unit attacks those in the yard when the rest of us enter the building. More wolves are there, and I notice Gabriel arguing with the guy I haven't seen before. As they both shift, I instantly can smell the Alpha; he is huge. Mikkeli howls loudly and steps in front, giving us his orders. The half stays with him to help, but he is the only one who can take an Alpha head-on.

We run upstairs after Patrick, who leads the way. Mikkeli sensed Hannah atop the building, so that's where we go. Soon we see them, not so many of them, and Hannah being dragged by them. It's very fast when we attack, and Luna is free.

"Celia has my baby; she and Hank are on the roof," she whispers; she seems so weak I wonder how the hell she hasn't lost consciousness yet. Gideon and Roseanne stay with her as the rest of us go to the roof.

We sink our canines and claws in some more opponents as Celia, lying on the floor, begs us to help Hank, and so we do. There are more wolves on the roof, but since it is so slippery, we must fight carefully to avoid falling. 

 Still, I'm fast as I sink my teeth in the one who has just been seconds from ripping my Beta's throat. I push him, and he whimpers as I crash his aorta. By the corner of my eye, I spot Marc catching Hank before he rolls down the roof; he isn't unconscious. Again, I bare my teeth, and more growls, bites, and blood come. But we are to the advantage, and Patrick is an experienced battle commander.

When all of our opponents are gone, dead silence comes to us.

I help Marc take Hank from the roof; I carry him down as we step back into the corridor. Dalton is putting some provisory patch on Terry Nightingale as Celia squats near them, holding a crying baby in her arms.

"Is he alright?" she asks, looking at me.

"Wounded, we have to take him to the Gideon right now," says Marc shifting and taking Celia in his arms and carrying her downstairs; Dalton does it with Nightingale as I have Hank.

When Celia gives Hannah her baby, Luna starts sobbing hard, cradling it as close to her as possible. Gideon takes care of Hank best of his abilities in the present circumstances, with Celia latched to him. He doesn't turn his eyes away from her as the rest of us wait. Soon the strong paws hit the floor as Mikkeli's wolf comes closer; he is wounded but not severely. He starts licking and nuzzling Hannah, whimpering a little bit, then shifts, taking them both into his arms.

Relief, I haven't seen anybody so relieved in my entire life as he hold Hannah close.

Dalton's eyes glaze.

"Alpha, the trackers we dispatched in the forest report the new groups of wolves are coming from different directions. They don't move fast but will be here in about twenty minutes.

"Fuck, with all the blood and smells, there is no way we sneak unnoticed, and we may not be able to defeat all of them," Mikkeli growls.

"But we can wait for them to come here; with all the smells, it won't be easy for them to locate us directly, and then we may try sneaking away. It's risky, but..." Dalton says.

"I have a better idea," Terry Nightingale interrupts him, and all of us can't stop our growling as he smirks mockingly.

"There is the route through the basement which you can go, it will take you all to the back of the factory, and you all will wait there. They will follow your scent, and when they are in the middle of a building, I will detonate the explosives I hid underground. There is a big chance that this building will collapse, giving you the time and distraction you need to escape. But you must trust me and wait for the shock before you can start running."

"Go on," says Mikkeli in a cold voice.

"There is one problem though I lost my detonator, so the only way to do it is to cause the chain reaction by sending the power impulse through the main powerline in the building since all the explosives are connected with it. And it can be done only from the main control room, which is on the second level. So the one who will do it has to know how to run fast, or he can be buried under the building too. And it can't be me since I have to be the one to wait for them outside and lure them inside, promising them their prize. But, if you give me your Luna's hoodie, it will smell strong enough for them to believe me that the baby was born, and I know where it is. Can you trust me?"

Mikkeli takes a big breath and looks in the direction of Celia, who is sitting next to Hank.

"Can we trust him?" he asks, and Celia turns his eyes to his brother.

"Yes, we can trust him," she says without hesitation.

"Okay, about the wolf who has to help you..."

"I'm the fastest. Dalton can confirm," I volunteer; I know I can do it and have the best chances from all who gathered.

"Alright, let's do it," Mikkeli says.

He helps Hannah take off her hoodie and gives it to Terry:

"You are a very tough girl, but you know that," he says, looking at Hannah, who nods. "I made it better; will you accept my apologies?"

"Yes, and thank you," she replays.

"Terry, thank you too," Celia stands up. "But what about you? How will you escape?"

"I have my ways. You've made your choice; I guess you are not going to change it, so this is the goodbye," he says calmly; she hugs him, and I see tears in her eyes. 

For the moment, Terry locks his eyes with Hank's, but no word is said.

We shift, and Hank gets strapped to Patrick's back so he can be carried. There are some minor wounds on us, but we all can move; Celia is going to ride on Marc, and Hannah is held with the baby by Roseanne on Mikkel. Dalton will lead the way, following the scent Terry has left before. As they disappear into the underground, Terry and I slowly go upstairs to the right room. He makes sure that everything works and later shows me what to do.

"I will signal you when to detonate. If they don't believe me and kill me, wait for them to at least enter the building," he says, giving me a small walkie-talkie.

"How are you planning to survive this?" I'm not stupid to notice that he is practically sacrificing himself.

"I know the way; if I'm fast enough, I can make it, although the odds are not in my favor. Tell that Beta of yours that if anything happens to Celia on his watch, even being dead doesn't stop me from finishing what I've started."

I nod as he walks into the factory's yard. It takes some time before they come; I can hear snarling, howling, and yelling, but he convinced them that after around ten minutes, I see him leading them to their death.

I stabilize my breath and wait for the signal; then it comes the fastest run in my life starts.