Chapter 16: "Scent"

Italian mastiff above

Kyle POV

I sit next to Hannah, watching her sleep. 

Mikkeli and Hayden are on the north border or, more precisely, on Full Moon's previous border with us. Patrick called him this morning saying that there is a problem, so Mikkeli went, even though Hannah hasn't been well.

She's been bleeding since yesterday; Gideon said for now, the child is safe, but we don't know how long it will last. She is forbidden to leave her bed. I saw the way Mikkeli was clenching his fists when Gideon told him that the child seemed to have problems with blood tension, but he didn't know what to do. And he told him to be ready to be there for Hannah if the worst happens.

The way he looked at me almost broke my heart; I saw him helpless for the first time. Still, when the problems came to the pack, he went to take care of them.

That's why I sit with Hannah today; Rosie stops playing with her puzzles, comes to me, and starts complaining that she wants to go outside. Hannah sleeps, so it's not that bad an idea. I take both her and Carson, who strangely is very calm.

I pass Celia in the kitchen without the supervision of any other omegas, which is weird. She is cooking something; judging by the smell, it's the beef stew. Danny and Kathy sit by the table, and both seem bored. I offer her to take them both with me, and they happily accept.

Woods seems calm during this part of the year, even though it's cold already. Kathy is playing with Rosie, and Danny only watches them running around trees. He is still sore after what happened last week with the pack warriors. Another reason Mikkeli is in a foul mood, all involved were punished; both Alpha and Hannah organized the pack meeting and empathize that any sort of this type of action in the future will be punished more severely. Hannah was barely standing because she was so weak that day but still, she fulfilled her duties as Luna.

That day, my mate also had some visitors, his mother and his sister; I only saw them from afar, and even though I shouldn't have, I still felt guilty. His mother didn't seem well, and since I listen to pack gossip, I know she took the death of her younger son very badly. I understand that he was my rapist, and I shouldn't feel like she suffers because of me, but still. It was his action that caused his death, but for her, he was her baby boy, and I can imagine how much in pain she must be now.

Rob was sending me hateful glances when they were here, and even though I try so hard not to have any feelings, it still hurts like hell. I cry every night because my wolf and my body yearn for his presence, for his touch.

So basically, the future doesn't look so well. My brother may lose his child, pack members seem conflicted, Celia and Danny still aren't safe, my mate hates me, and lately, my nightmares have intensified.

I stop wondering since something catches my attention, and some strange fragrance reaches my nostrils.

"Kathy, Rosie, come here now," I say slowly.

"What's wrong?" Danny asks, but I hand him Carson, asking him to keep an eye on all of them, and after that, I shift and mindlink one of my fellow omegas to come and take them back into the packhouse now.

Skyler trots fast but quietly; after the trace of the smell, we go deeper and deeper into the woods. This strange fragrance is getting stronger and stronger, but I also smell something else, something my nose is already familiar with.

When about a couple of minutes later, I start digging. I'm not surprised when I find the freshly dead body buried not that deep in the ground. Someone was in a hurry, and the amount of blood suggests that he also died there. I mindlink again, this time Dalton, to inform him about my discovery.