Chapter 31: "Feelings"

Rob POV

I kept looking at Kyle all the time during our ride home.

Even though I slept at least 15 hours, Blake is still weak; it will probably take us at least a week to get the silver out of our body completely. It also doesn't help that my wolf is extremely pissed off. I made it impossible for him to claim his mate; I'm sure he will give me hell when he gets his full strength back.

Kyle still seemed very tired, which didn't surprise me; three days of intensive heat would drain everybody. But the problem was he was ignoring me during the whole ride. I couldn't even get his attention since Marc and Luna were with us in the car, and I knew she was very angry with what I did or didn't do as Kyle's mate.

When we came home, she instantly demanded I talk with her alone, which I couldn't avoid no matter what. When she sat in front of me and looked at me, I literally felt scared. I clearly understood at that moment that during my confrontation with the Alpha, she hadn't been on my side. Instead, she simply had made sure I wouldn't have been ripped into pieces by her mate.

I wondered how such a tiny, blond, heavily pregnant woman could have literally made you freeze just by looking at you.

"I know that mating shouldn't be something anybody interferes with," she said coldly. "But Kyle is my family, so I must know what you want to do. I don't try to put myself in your shoes, but I understand that you suffered, and maybe because of it, you wanted to make somebody else suffer, but that comes to an end. You must first decide if you accept your mate or not. No one will oppose you trying to fix things between Kyle and you, but...when Kyle decides, you will accept it no matter what."

I gulped and looked at her; there was no pity on her face; she was passing sentence; she was a Luna standing on the guard of justice in her pack.

"Rob, a mating bond is an extremely strong force in our world, but it can't be the reason. It's the beginning for two mates, the beginning of falling in love, the beginning of their journey together. But the final choice belongs to the mates, who must make the same decision for it to work. You've hurt Kyle, you can beg for his forgiveness, but you must accept that it's his decision to forgive you or not."

That conversation made me feel down. The intention of this was clear. If Kyle wishes to break the bond, Alpha and Luna will use whatever means to make me reject him. And I can't make it happen; I just can't.

That's why I've been sitting in front of Kyle's room for two hours, waiting for him to come. I was too much chicken to try to mindlink him. It's quite late already; I wonder where he could be.

When he finally comes after another hour, he isn't surprised to see me, but I have no idea if he is happy or not. He comes closer.

"Can you hold him?" he asks and hands me Carson, I automatically take him in my arms, and we enter Kyle's room.

"Kyle, can we...?" I start, but he instantly interrupts me.

"I'm tired and still sore. I will take a shower. He's fed and changed; if he starts crying, walk with him a little. The blanket and pillows are in the wardrobe; if you want to stay, you sleep on the floor."

"Okay, but Kyle, can you at least let me say something?"

He sighs heavily when he responds:

"I can't do it right now. I have no strength for this conversation, not now, probably not tomorrow. So I'm sorry, Rob, but I need some time for myself."

I don't argue; I take care of Carson when Kyle is in the bathroom and decide to walk around the packhouse with him.

The baby is generous with me because he doesn't cry when I hold him. I took a good look at him during the heat incident; it's one of the most beautiful babies I've ever seen. I feel a connection with him, and I wonder if it is because he's my mate's pup or because of something more. He could be Renan's; he could be my nephew by blood. Do I want him to be?