Chapter 10: "Try"

David, Celia's uncle, above

Celia POV

"Are you okay?"

My uncle's question is full of concern; he is genuinely terrified of what I may have been through since the last time we saw each other.

"It's alright; we are safe. No one has done anything," I say.

My uncle doesn't look that bad, either. Of course, he is locked in a dungeon, but he is well fed, and his wounds seem to start healing finally.

"And how are you?" I ask.

"Bored, I just lie all day, every day, but don't worry, I'm good."

I come closer to hug him; Danny, who has jumped into his arms the moment we entered, moves a little to let me have my moment with my uncle.

Hank is standing by the entrance to the cell, looking at us. I clearly see he is not happy that he has brought us here, and I wonder why he did it anyway. This morning after breakfast, he just told us that he would take us to see Uncle David but made Kathy stay behind under the supervision of packhouse housekeeper Rose.

I didn't protest; I've never protested when he told me where to go or what to do. As long as his orders pose no threat, I'm willing to obey if it means that the children and I are safe.

"Where is Kathy?" David asks after he's released me from his arms.

"There is no way I let my daughter anywhere near you."

I hear his cold voice, and I flinch unwillingly; shit, I'm probably doing only it recently. Uncle David doesn't comment and focuses only on Danny and me. We talk about everything and nothing; Hank is listening, so there is no point in trying to discuss anything important. Even though I do think about the possibility of escaping, I know there is no chance, at least not now and probably not in the nearest future. Before we say our goodbyes, my uncle manages to whisper into my ear that I shouldn't think about him. If I have a chance to run away, I should take it.

As we slowly go back to the packhouse, I'm analyzing our situation. After one month here, we have established something that may be seen as a daily routine.

I share the bedroom with my daughter and Danny now, and I won't be lying if I say that is a big relief for me. I'm just calmer when I know that HE is no longer so close to me. The three of us sleep together, Danny still wets the bed from time to time, but at least we were provided with bed pads which makes cleaning much easier.

We spend our days with Hank. Half of the day in his office, when he works, Danny usually reads, and I play with Kathy. We keep silent, except for Kathy, she talks with us, and we talk with her but not with each other. In the afternoon, kids often have a chance to play in the garden, mostly with twins and little Rosie. Other members of the pack keep their children away, and I don't blame them. I talk the most with Hannah, sometimes with Rose and Kyle.

I recognize Alpha, his brother Hayden, and Mark. I know twins are Hayden's children, and Rosie is Hannah's sister and now somehow adopted child of her and her mate.

I've seen Kyle's and the twins' wolves when they played with Kathy and Rosie, and I must say it felt strange to me. I was always sure I would be terrified when I face that form of werewolf again. And yet that wasn't what I'd expected. I was strangely calm and even somehow astonished by how beautiful they looked. Only Kyle's wolf was the size of an average wolf; the boys were much bigger. But I must say he was the prettiest, totally white, delicate. I had a feeling that I was looking at something totally innocent, not some monster, as my clan had always repeated. I haven't seen Hank's wolf, and I'm not eager to do so.