Chapter 77

Onyx's POV
I heard three sets of footsteps running.

"ONYX?!"

I started army crawling to my bed. My bedroom door opened.

"Onyx!"

Primrose and the kids ran up to me.

"What happened?!"

"I'm fine. I just fell."

"Let me help!"

"No. I am okay."

I pulled myself onto my bed.

"Shit! That fuckin hurt!"

"Okay don't even think about moving."

"I don't even think, I'm able to anyway."

Primrose helped me get comfortable then, put a lot of pillows underneath my leg. I felt tears forming.

"Aw baby."

"I-I'm sorry I didn't listen. I-I just got excited."

"Shh. It's okay. I understand. MJ show your bother where the bathroom is so, you can wash up?"

"Follow me!"

I saw Marionette grab Malakai's hand. They started running.

"Onyx it's okay to get excited. I'm going to to wash up. I will be right back."

She walked away. She grabbed some clean clothes and went into the bathroom. She left the bathroom door open a bit.

"I can see you!"

She chuckled.

"I don't care! You can look!"

She quickly changed and washed up. After she was done in the bathroom, she walked over to our bed.

"Before I sit down, do you need anything?"

"No. Not right now. I just really, really need to snuggle for a while."

She laid down next to me. I put my arms around her. She put her head on my chest. She started rubbing my chest with her hand.

"I don't think...I've ever been that scared. She told me, I'd never see Malakai. She was telling me..all this shit. Her parents hated me. They made me miss, seeing my children be born. That fuckin hurts like hell."

"I think this'll make you feel better. MJ seems thrilled."

"Y-you're right. She does. I just thought..it was because I'm back."

"Well, yes. There's that and, the fact she has a brother. Christopher had us pick him up at the station. Mal was so terrified. She ran up to him and hugged him. I'm pretty sure, she talked his ear off. It's easy to tell that, he's terrified. Some drunk girl was screaming her head off and, that terrified him. He ran into an interrogation room. It took almost an hour to call him down. I don't think, he's ever been outside for long. He didn't even know what a car was. MJ showed him how to use her tablet. His face lit up. I think, she knows to be careful with him. Once he got comfortable with us, he was scared to leave Mari's side. Before you even say a thing. This is not your fault. Amy hid him from you."

"I walked into the damn room and saw one baby. What I'm having a problem figuring out is...she gave them the names...I liked."

"I know where you got MJ from. What about Malakai?"

"My other best friend. My little cousin. His middle name was "Malakai". He told me, If I ever had a son, I could make him after that. He knew, I think it's a cool name. Damn...I miss that kid."

"What happened to him?"

"He hung around with the wrong people. He started using drugs when he was I think 11? Last I heard was, he overdosed. I have no idea if he's dead. I have no idea if he's alive. If he is alive then, I have no way to contact him. I have no idea where on this goddamn planet he'd be. H-he's a great kid. He clearly had or has, some demons. I'm pretty sure that's what triggered my depression. At first, my mom was helpful. She took me to psychiatrist appointments. She took me to therapy. Then one day...it just stopped."

"Did you tell Amy any of this?"

"Fuck no. She didn't care enough. You're the only one who knows. All I told my mom was, I was depressed and have anxiety. She never asked why. So I assumed, she never cared. I wish I fucking tried harder to help. He tried to get me do heroin so many times. I didn't like the idea."

"Did you try it?"

"No. God no. One time, I even flushed everything down the toilet. I thought that'd make him stop. I kept trying to get him to just stop..and be a kid. I wanted to go see movies with him or play video games. He was into skateboarding so...he told me, he'd show me how to do it. He never did. All my friends were doing it. I was like what? 13?"

"Nyx you were a kid. You didn't know."

"I thought, those programs they did in school would help him. But nope...Cody had to go off and do his own goddamn thing. He had to hang out with the high schoolers since he said they'd make him cool. He used to listen to me. Every word I said, was he listened to. I wish he fuckin kept listening,"

"Let's say that, he is alive and he shows up. What are you gonna do?"

"Well, first I'm yelling at him. Then, I'll probably slap him. You'd distract the kids obviously."

"Of course I would."

"Let's change the topic please? I-I don't want to get pissed off or something."

"Okay. Well, you're on bed rest."

"Goddamnit. That's hell for me. I broke my back playing football once. I was on bed rest for like a month."

"Anddd now you break my back."

"I-"

Primrose started laughing.

"What the hell?"

"That was great! You look like you're gonna shit yourself!"

"Get out."

"Nope!"

"Jesus fucking Christ. I can't with you."

I heard two sets of footsteps running.

"Run faster Mally!"

I saw the kids run into my room. Marionette jumped onto the bed. She landed on my leg. I winced.

"I'm sorry!"

"It's okay."

I noticed Malakai didn't know what to do.

"You can come up here Mal. It's okay."

He started trying to climb up. He started to get upset that he couldn't. I sat up a bit. I picked him up and put him in the middle of me and Primrose.

"He's never watched tv!"

"The lady didn't let me."

Marionette showed him how to use the remote. She put on a show to watch. I heard a yawn. I saw the yawn came from Malakai.

"You tired little man?"

He nodded.

"You can take a nap. It's okay."

"I won't get yelled at?"

"No. You won't."

I laid back down.