𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 22 - 𝐶𝑎𝑠𝑡𝑙𝑒𝑠 𝐶𝑟𝑢𝑚𝑏𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑔(1)

Your Pov:

Without even looking, you knew exactly who it was. The first thing you did was look over at Lizzie. You wanted to ask her if you should answer the door but instead, she got up and went to open it herself. You, of course, stopped her. You grabbed her wrist, stopping her from making any other movement. You walked in front of her, using your body to cover her and possibly hide her from him.

You turned the lock, opening it slightly and poking your head out. "What do you want?" your voice was different, different from when you woke her up to now. Your voice was toned, harsh, unwelcoming, distaste clearly obvious in your words.

"I know Lizzie's here. Let me talk to her" He tried to push past you, failing miserably. "Hold that thought, I have to ask her if she even wants to talk to you." You shut the door before he could even finish his building sentence.

"Yes or no, do you want to talk to him?" You turned to face her. "Yes." Ouch. Not ouch..you didn't really have the right to feel affected. It's not like you guys are together or something..

You nodded, opening the door again. A part of you didn't want to let him in. Somewhere within you wanted him to stay outside, stay as far away as he could to Lizzie. You were scared that they might actually be able to fix this. It was a very selfish thought. Nonetheless, you opened the door for him, letting him walk in. 

And as soon as he saw her, he ran to her, wrapping his filthy hands around her. You wanted to push him, tell him he no longer has the right to touch nor even look at Lizzie. But you knew you also didn't have the right to intervene. You knew this wasn't any of your business, the most you could do is to stay put and be there for Lizzie.

***

Lizzie asked you to wait upstairs until she and Robbie talked things out. Per usual, you wanted to disobey. You wanted to be there when Lizzie needed you, you wanted to interfere if he tries to hurt her—not that he will..hopefully.

You found yourself pacing back and forth, trying to understand the little things you heard. Their quarrel was different from the one you saw before. Maybe it was because they're not home, or maybe because Lizzie knows you're trying to listen. Their arguing was nearly silent—from your side—you could barely hear a thing.

You were becoming impatient, though you knew that they needed to talk it out alone, you couldn't shake the feeling of oddness. At some point, you tired yourself from walking continuously. You sighed to yourself, sitting down and running a hand through your hair.

Instead of eavesdropping, you decided to look back on your ephemeral moment with Lizzie. It had been so perfect. He just had to appear and scupper everything. And before you could get even more infuriated by his existence, you heard a knock coming from the door.

"Hey there," She announced her presence. "Hey, how'd it go?" You stood up immediately, walking towards her.

"Not so bad," She explained. "Wanna talk about it?" You suggested wanting to know more about what they talked about. "Yes, but not right now. Let's get back to breakfast, Robbie already left."

She grabbed your arm, dragging you along with her. As confused as you were, you had no choice but to obey.

***

You found yourself sitting across from Lizzie, something that had happened a while ago. Though she was quiet, her eyes gave answers to your questions.

"Are we gonna talk about it now...?"

"Hm?" She responded, seeming nonchalant about the situation. "You and Robbie, the fight?" You reminded, confused as to why she was acting as if it's of no great importance.

"Oh...well, it wasn't anything vital. We came to an agreement; we'll take time off from each other and think well about our priorities in life."

"Oh.." You let the word slip pass without noticing. "Why? Is there a problem with that?" She questioned, shoving a spoonful of food into her mouth. You shook your head with an embarrassed laugh, your hand scratching at your nape. "No. I just- I didn't think he'd actually agree on that" She tilted her head slightly at you.

"I don't see why he wouldn't."

"I know, I know. He just seemed so desperate when he came barging in. It's a weird thought, sorry" She chuckled, as though not bothered by your words. "He was desperate. Even still, there's nothing he can do to change my mind. It was his only choice; wait for me to decide or we're over"

"You are still just considering leaving him? After what he has done to you?" It was her chuckle that got your brows furrowing. "I'm not considering, I'm just playing with him. Giving him hope that there is still some chance for us. Just like how I hoped that he would have told me earlier and we could have still fixed it."

Sadness coated her words and along with them, was her smile that disappeared. You weren't going to lie but you definitely felt relieved when she said that. You and Lizzie agreed that nothing was gonna change between the two of you but...the kiss really wasn't helping you lose your feelings. And the fact that she, herself, said it too that there might be a future for the both of you...well, it had really been clouding your mind.

"That's fair. He deserves it." You added. She smiled and agreed,

"He does." 

***

As the day went on, you and Lizzie mostly spent time lounging on the couch and watching your favourite shows together. She would get up for a moment to answer phone calls but would sit back down with you.

It was around afternoon when you decided to get dressed and fix yourself in time to meet someone. You had promised to buy her some coffee when all the drama had cascaded.

"How do I look?"

"You look...gorgeous.." Her voice was soft, eyes scanning over you from head to toe. "Oh no need to overreact! I don't look bad, right?" You turned, facing yourself in the mirror. "Not at all. And I'm not overreacting, you're just simply beautiful."

Her words brought heat to your cheeks, making your heart skip a beat. She always knew how to make you flustered. "I guess.."

You wore a maroon button down, with the sleeves rolled up, paired with an army green straight pants. You also wore black heels and decided to not style your hair.

"Will you need me?" She walked forward to you, fixing your hair from behind. "Probably not. I'm already quite comfortable with her. After all, she did raise me..." Lizzie hummed in response, staring at your reflection.

You caught her eye in the mirror, cheeks flushing and turning away immediately. She was so close to you once again. Damn you, Elizabeth! "Well then, I'm wishing you good luck!" she clasped her hands together, making an awfully loud noise. 

Back To December.