Chapter 97: Did You Feel Anything?

Start from the beginning

The girl gulps, feeling her heart sink further. She merely nods, not being able to speak. The boy's eyes glimmer, amazed that his girlfriend traveled through time. "Holy shit..." he murmurs, chuckling. "How? To where– or when?" he eagerly asks. Y/n frowns and hangs her head, which the boy takes note of. His cheery smile slowly fades as he observes his girlfriend's behavior.

"I was... lying in bed. And I was just thinking about the past few years. About Wanda, Cap, MJ, Ned, you... and then I started thinking about everyone I knew before the plane crash, about my old life and how it changed so much... Then, the next thing I knew, I wasn't in my bed anymore. I wasn't even in my room, I was outside standing in front of a movie theater... I was in Hawkins," she conveys. Peter listens closely, his eyes slightly widening at the new information. "And it was 1985."

The boy's face falls upon hearing this, he's in pure shock. Y/n somehow managed to accidentally wind up in her hometown in the past. "Wow..." he reacts. An uneasy feeling begins to spread in his chest, recalling the girl's words: "And then I started thinking about everyone I knew before the plane crash, about my old life and how it changed so much." Y/n's acting kind of strange, she almost seems upset. It suddenly hits him. It must have to do with Jonathan Byers. He suddenly becomes nervous, terrified to continue this conversation.

"Did... did you see any of your old friends?" he inquires. He doesn't want to know if she saw Jonathan but at the same time, he just needs to know.

Y/n nods in confirmation. "Yeah, I ran into Robin and Steve, I've told you about them," she answers, making the boy nod. "And then I went to my house... and I saw my family," she continues, a small fond smile stretching across her lips. She glances at the boy, who grins when he meets her glossy eyes. He knows how much she misses her family. "Lucas and Erica were younger than me again," she laughs. "And my parents... I got to hug them. I told them I love them, and thanked them for everything."

She takes a moment to breathe before proceeding. This next part is the part she dreads telling Peter. The boy's stomach churns, he can feel it coming. He knows that guy's name is going to come up sooner or later. Based on the girl's hesitation, he assumes it's sooner. Like one rips off a bandaid, y/n quickly blurts, "I saw Jonathan." The tension in the room thickens as silence looms over the couple.

Peter freezes, taken aback by how the girl just blurted it out. His heart is hammering in his chest now, his anxiety skyrocketing. "Oh..." he reacts, not knowing what else to say. Y/n feels anxious as well, noticing the boy's reaction.

"I saw him and my past self on his porch... and when she– I– left and he went inside, I thought about knocking on the door. I was close to doing it but the little voice in my head was telling me not to and then I thought of you... so I didn't. I turned around to leave when the door suddenly opened. It was Eleven," she explains, lightly chuckling at the mention of the telekinetic girl.

"I talked to her and Jonathan's brother, Will, before Jonathan himself came outside and saw me... We only talked for a little bit and then I... I wiped his memory so he wouldn't remember seeing me."

The two remain silent. Peter has no idea how to feel. He doesn't even know how y/n feels about it... about seeing Jonathan. The girl slowly lifts her eyes to her boyfriend, not sure of what to expect. Peter is staring at the wall across from him with a small frown on his face, which worries y/n. "Pete...?" she nervously voices.

The boy lowers his head, staring down at the turquoise comforter. He swallows the lump in his throat before releasing a heavy sigh, refusing to look at the girl. "And how did you feel when you saw him again?" he quietly asks, afraid of the answer even though he believes he already knows it.

Y/n is taken aback by the question. "What?" she mumbles.

"Did you... feel anything when you saw Jonathan again?" the boy queries, finally glancing at the girl. The disconcert is written all over his face.