92

Ge Xiu felt as if he was falling endlessly.

    As if being dragged down into the deep sea by invisible gravity, all the sounds were left blocked above the distant water surface, it felt as his heartbeat was the only sound remaining.

    Gurgling bubbles brushed past his ears and floated towards the top of his head.

    He couldn’t struggle, couldn’t breathe, and could only fall powerlessly deeper and deeper into colder abyss.

    There was a vague call in the distance.

    Ge Xiu couldn’t hear what the other was saying, but in his heart, he just somehow knew that the that person was calling his name.

    He opened his eyes suddenly.

    As if the bubbles around him were suddenly burst, all the sounds, colours and disorganized scenes rushed towards him, smashing into his temples violently like a heavy hammer, making him unable to concentrate and think.

Advertisements

REPORT THIS AD

    Ge Xiu was in severe pain all over his body, and he couldn’t move from the tips of his fingers to his toes.

    It took him a while to clear his blurry vision little by little.

    Above his head was a falling and floating rain of fire.

    The fire that was burning between the sky and the ground seemed as if it wouldn’t stop burning for three days and three nights. The crackling sound and sharp howls of the scorching insects reverberated under the sky, and the pungent burnt smell permeated the flames. Even from far away, one could feel the boundless heat emitted by the flames.

    Ge Xiu realized that he was being held carefully in the mecha’s hands, protected tightly by the arms wrapping around him against the breastplate.

    He looked with difficulty in the direction from which he had just flown.

    On the ground not far away, among the dense layers of scorched corpses, the silver-white mecha he had just piloted turned into the wreckage, and was hit beyond recognition by the huge heatwaves generated by the explosion, black smokee curled around it.

    A brilliant red light was reflected on the scratched metal surface of the mecha.

    Ge Xiu thought it was a fire at first.

    Until he raised his eyes—in the distant place where the sky and the earth meet, the slightly reddish sunlight pierced through the dim night sky, and the seemingly miraculous golden glow illuminated the dark and deep gray-blue, dispelling the darkness.

    The rising sun rose from the horizon.

    The morning light of dawn illuminated the devastated ground, reflected on the broken mecha, shocking to the core, directly hitting the hearts of the people.

    Blood and smoke stained Ge Xiu’s cheeks, his lips were pale from the overusing his strength, and his vision was blurred.

    But the golden-red sunlight was reflected at the bottom of his eyes, like a scorched red mark, deeply branded in the depths of his pupils.

    As the distance increased, the mechs in the battlefield gradually disappeared from his field of vision.

    The young man’s vision was once again dark, he slowly closed his eyes, and fell into a deep coma.

    ·

    When Ge Xiu woke up again, he was already in the hospital.

    The white walls and white lights made the whole room seem cold and quiet, except for the even constant beeping sound of the instruments.