47

Eighteen hours later.

    The animal trainer went back before the Duke. That rough as a rock face had always had little changes in expression, but now, under his indifferent and numb look, there was a trace of imperceptible frustration.

    The thorn whip tied to the back of his hand was soaked in water and it tightly cut into the flesh.

    The trainer lowered his head and said ashamed:

    “Grand Duke, I’m very sorry, I couldn’t get this mermaid to sing…”

    “What?” Grand Duke Willis turned his head back in disbelief: “Not even you could do it? What did you do?”

    The trainer’s head drooped even lower: “I obeyed the master’s instructions and didn’t use any harsh training methods on him. I mainly used electric shocks that do not leave skin trauma.”

    “That’s good, after all, it’d be a pity if blemishes were left on such a good skin.” After Grand Duke Willis breathed a sigh of relief he started worrying again:” but I’ve been showing off to Count Este for a long time that I’ve bought the best mermaid. Although he does look good, if he can’t sing, what value does he have!”

    The trainer raised his head: “Then please allow me to use some more extreme methods… “

    Grand Duke Willis interrupted him impatiently:

    “No! The banquet is in two days’ time, I can’t show up with a scarred merman, right? That’d be too ugly!”

    The trainer hesitated for a few seconds, finally made up his mind and said:

    “Actually, just now I have adjusted the electric shocks to the maximum voltage that a mermaid can withstand. To be honest, no mermaid on my hand could withstand this kind of pain before, but this one was actually silent from beginning to the end….it’s really strange.”

    Grand Duke Willis raised his brows, his face gloomy:

    “Do you suspect he’s mute?”

    The trainer didn’t dare to answer directly, and lowered his head deeper.

    The face of Grand Duke Willis was like a heavy cloud before the storm. He angrily swept all the exquisite and expensive tea utensils on the table to the ground, they shattered on the carpet, hot tea gushed out, instantly wetting the gorgeous luxurious carpet woven from golden wool.

    That merchant, daring to fool him with a mute mermaid who can’t speak? He wants to die!

    This was simply a great humiliation!

    He raised his head with a sullen face and whispered a few words to the attendants beside him. A group of heavily armed private troops left the grand duke’s mansion in a few minutes.

    The Grand Duke exhaled with relief, sat down, and took a sip of the tea offered by the attendant again.

    Although catching that merchant could let him vent his anger, it didn’t solve the imminent problem.

    The invitations to the banquet have been handed out three days earlier, and there was no way to cancel it — he really didn’t want to see the arrogant face of the Earl Este, they actually dared to laugh at the quality of his collection… He couldn’t let them continue to be proud.

    The incredible face of the mermaid flashed through his mind.

    Grand Duke Wesley pondered for a moment, and suddenly something realized something — what if he can’t sing? Such a face was really rare, it could be called one of the best. The mermaids in the mansion of Earl Esther and Viscount Joyce couldn’t compare to this one. At most, he wouldn’t be able to perform on the banquet. This face alone was enough to make people feel greedy.