53

Ge Xiu felt that he had a long dream.

    A very terrible one.

    Every fragmented part had a sour smell of nightmare, but no matter how much he tried it the pieces didn’t fit together, only the cold and suffocating feeling still stayed in the cracks of his bones when he woke up, as if it had been deeply imprinted in the depths of his body.

    He was awakened by childish music.

    Loud and joyful electronic music dragged his mind back to sanity, from the hazy chaotic thoughts back to reality.

    Ge Xiu blinked, staring dumbfounded at the little man on the screen close to him, jumping over the pillars in front of him one by one, cleverly avoiding one trap after another, evading every attack from the boss. It fired bullets without hindrance, as if it had experienced it thousands of times before, with dexterity and smooth movements – the boss fell.

    “Dangdangdang~”

    The boss’s body faded away and vanished.

    Symbolic celebrating gun and salutes sounded, colourful flags waved on the screen, the little man jumped up and down happily, and one huge word occupied the entire screen:

    YOU WIN!

    Ge Xiu rubbed his eyes and turned his head to look beside him.

    Rowett was wearing a black neatly pressed suit, and sat on the ground indifferently, holding the game controller in his slender palm, and his thumb had just moved away from the attack button.

    He didn’t know how long he’s been sitting here.

    Ge Xiu blinked his misty blue-purple eyes, along with the drowsiness that didn’t fade away was a little surprise— he didn’t expect that he could sleep so soundly with someone so close, and he didn’t wake up for so long. Could it be that it’s been too long since he had to struggle to survive in the Abyss and his vigilance has faded?

    The winning score on the screen gradually faded and returned to the initial interface. There were only two accounts arranged together, and the first one had a much higher score than the second.

    Rowett put down the console and turned his head to look over at him.

    His expression was quite peaceful, the cold and sharp facial features were softened by the sunlight, and the previous indistinct sense of brutality has lessened a lot, and he seemed much more approachable and relaxed.

    Rowett threw the game console to Ge Xiu, then picked up the other console from the side and shook it:

    “Come for a round?”

    The metal surface of the console still retained the temperature left by human hands, and it felt warm and comfortable to the touch, like pebbles heated up by the sun.

    Ge Xiu shrugged, and straightened his back holding the console.

    Game start.

    Two little figures scrambled to jump and run across the screen to avoid traps.

    One of them advanced step by step, dodging all attacks extremely skilfully, and quickly left the other behind — a few minutes later, a victorious salute and music sounded on the screen, and a little man jumped up and down with joy, the other little man fell down on the gray ground in frustration.

    “You lack practice.”

    Rowett put down the console and commented objectively.

    —Isn’t it obvious?