Ch19: A Flight To Remember (2)

The rest of the flight goes rather smoothly. We quickly catch pup to the others and before long, we are landing in New York. As we come in for our final approach, Elizabeth speaks up again.

Elizabeth: [Uhm...]

Me: [Hmm? Everything alright back there?]

Elizabeth: [W-well I... never mind.]

Deciding not to worry about it until we are safe on the ground, I focus on landing safely. As we come to a stop, however, Elizabeth all but jumps out of the plane making her way straight for her sister. Warspite and the others had landed before us and had already been greeted by the seemingly endless stream of humans and KANSEN that had come out to see us. Now they were all gathered around the few planes that the girls had arrived in.

Smiling, I turn to watch as the Su-57s that were in charge of protecting me during the flight finally land together. As they taxi over to me, I feel a hand press against my side. Looking behind me, I find Enterprise standing there. 

Enterprise: Would you like me to

Enterprise: Would you like me to...Uhm...show you around?

Smiling, I nod and she breathes a sigh in relief as her own response before taking my hand but before I even manage a single step my stomach warns me that I'm at my limit. Everything that happens next occurs in a blur of activity. My planes break down and return to me in their cube forms. Everyone turns to look at me as a worried look crosses Enterprise's face. The next thing I know, I am falling.

Enterprise reaches out for me but I am suddenly too far behind her for her to catch me in time. As I'm about to hit the ground, however, someone catches me from behind. I look up to see who it is but before their face comes into view, I blackout.

Sometime later, I awaken to the sweet smell of food. Opening my eyes shows the last person I expected to see sitting by my side, Elizabeth. What's more, she's preparing something by herself, without a maid.

A smile involuntarily spreads across my facial features as I watch her struggle to accomplish the most basic tasks while preparing what looks like tea. Sitting up alerts her to the fact that I'm awake and she almost spills the freshly made tea on herself as she stares as though I've risen from the dead.

Elizabeth: You're awake!

Forgetting the hot tea still in her hands she rushes towards me. As my survival instinct kicks in, however, my body forgets that it's completely out of energy and bolts out of the bed mere seconds before the tea spills right onto the sheets where mere moments prior I was lying down.

Between the seemingly near-death experience and how fast Elizabeth turns red, I can't quite tell whether to cry, scream or laugh. Emotions stuck between the three, I can only stand and blankly stare as she all but suffers a similar breakdown to that which Dalian went through while I was damaged.

Elizabeth: I'm sorry I-

Her head slumps as she resigns herself to her failures but having learnt from my past experiences, I don't give her the chance to run away, instead, pulling her into a hug. She relaxes almost immediately, sinking into my arms as I find a clean spot on the bed to sit.

Me: So, was that for me?

She looks up, eyes still filled with tears and nods. Smiling, I wipe her tears away and reach across for a small plate of cookies. Taking a bite, I notice that they aren't perfectly baked but are also far too sweet. Still, I hide the shock behind another smile as I comment that they are quite tasty. The look on her face when I tell her I like them tells me she made them which would also explain why they aren't quite ready.

After eating all the cookies, I stand and we walk out of the room together. For some reason, she doesn't let go of my hand as we do so but I don't really give it much thought until we arrive outside and everyone starts staring at us. I don't get much of a chance to think it over, however, as Hood and another girl I've never met make their way towards us.

Hood: I'm happy to see that you're well, Miss.

Me: Thanks. Have you found a travelling partner as yet?

Hood: Ah, well...the Eagle Union is sending Miss Anchorage with us.

Anchorage: A pleasure to meet you, Your Majesty.

Me: Likewise.

Anchorage escorts us to the canteen where I get to eat more food, quickly regaining the rest of my strength. As I finish up, Dalian and Enterprise come in. The mood instantly shifts as tensions immediately begin to fly between Dalian and Elizabeth. As they continue to stare each other down, I ask Hood if she has any idea what's going on.

Hood: Her majesty declared her interest in becoming your partner.

Me: I thought we were...oh you mean-

Hood: Yes, and ever since she's seen both Miss Dalian and Miss Enterprise as rivals.

Me: Dalian?

Hood: Well, when she declared her affection for you, Miss Dalian, well she kind of implied she also had feelings for you. It nearly turned into a massive battle but we were able to part them in time.

Me: All over me?

As my laughter fills the room, everyone turns to see what's happening but it only makes me laugh even more. To think that all this occurred in the short time I've been asleep. Looking back now, it all makes sense. From the moment we were about to land, Elizabeth was trying to tell me that she had feelings for me but chickened out and of course, I collapsed before she got a second chance to. I'm guessing she had gone over to talk to her sister about it when she ran off towards Warspite. Sometime between then and when I woke up, the others found out and a fight almost ensued. It also explains why she was acting so strange when I woke up and why she hasn't left my side since. Though I must say, I am surprised Dalian allowed her to do so. I wonder why...

I wonder how long it's been since she realised she might have had feelings for me. It might explain why she was so flustered back when Wales came to wish us a safe flight. I suppose my own actions may have given off the wrong implications as well.

Sigh

How did I find myself in a situation like this?