Ch34: Journey (2)

Ping

Ping x15

Ping x30

As more and more aircraft are detected by my radar, it becomes clear that we can't remain here. However, with Liang still unconscious in my arms and my sister and I evading incoming torpedoes left and right, it is highly improbable that we'll find the time to get into one of our aircraft and takeoff before those incoming fighters get here. To make matters worse, we're still far from the mainland meaning that we can't depend on any assistance for the foreseeable future.

Me: [Jiangsu, prep all your planes for launch to intercept the incoming aircraft.]

Jiangsu: [Are we really going to fight?]

Me: [We don't...yes, so prep your planes and once they are ready launch them on an intercept course.]

She doesn't respond but I can tell what she's thinking. I myself would be thinking the same but past experiences have taught me all I need to know in regards to dealing with situations like these. We may have signed a peace treaty with the US but they aren't about to turn down the opportunity to get some payback by taking out two carriers at once. Furthermore, we still have no proof it is them attacking as we have yet to identify the submarine, meaning that they could attack us and claim they weren't responsible...

Me: [Zhejiang here.]

HQ: [Miss Zhejiang, we-]

Me: [I'm just contacting you to tell you I'm sinking the submarine.]

HQ: [But-]

Me: [It fired first.]

There's silence on the other end for some time, during which I prep my own planes for launch. As I do, I also try getting Liang to wake so that we can reposition ourselves to allow me to launch my aircraft without needing to drop her into the water first. As she opens her eyes, however, I get my reply.

HQ: [Understood. Proceed at your discretion. We'll attempt to provide assistance but you're still some distance away from the nearest vessel.]

Me: [There's also over 50 unidentified aircraft heading in our general direction. We are going to engage them as well.]

There's another pause yet again. Sighing, I bring Liang up to speed before helping her to shift until I'm carrying her on my back. With my hands now free, I immediately begin launching my aircraft. I'm somewhat late as my sister already managed to get her entire airwing underway but better late than never.

Jiangsu: [So, I should shoot them down, right?]

Me: [Yes.]

BOOOOOOOOOOOM

An explosion behind us pulls our attention. Facing the source of the explosion, however, we're met with nothing but a wall of water blasting upwards towards the clouds. It's pretty clear that it was from a depth charge but I can't imagine a reason for using such a powerful one. Then again, I did kind of imply that I wanted the submarine destroyed when I sent my helicopters to hunt it down.

Jiangsu: [Submarine!]

Sure enough, a submarine soon emerges. As it does, the international channel gets flooded with a call for assistance and them declaring a state of emergency. 

Looking it over as it levels out, I find that I don't recognise it but Liang wastes no time in telling us that it is a Virginia-class submarine. I suppose as an admiral during the war it was part of her job to learn everything she could about the enemy but still...to be able to identify it this quickly...wow.

Jiangsu: [Can we help them?]

Me: [What?]

Jiangsu: [Please?]

Me: [N-]

Liang: Come on, you wouldn't want her to grow up as ruthless as her older sister now would you?

In response, I swing my head back knocking Liang in the forehead but still ultimately decide to give in. I may not want to admit it but she's right. I keep on forgetting that Jiangsu is pretty much a child. Besides, I'm sure the navy amongst others will want to interrogate the crew. Yes, that's why I am doing this...for my nation and nothing more.

Me: [Sure, I guess. Deploy your ship. We'll be there shortly.]