Ch7: An Unexpected Visitor

I awaken to the faint humming sound of machinery. As my eyesight adjusts to the bright room, I notice that someone's sitting in a chair near the bed I'm resting on. It's Dalian, and she's fast asleep. She must've been here since I returned. Smiling, I try to sit up but my hands buckle under my weight and I find myself face down in my pillow. My fall awakens Dalian who tears up when she sees that I'm awake.

Dalian: I'm sorry!

Her shout sends pain rippling through my head causing me to wince. She notices and clamps a hand over her mouth, eyes filled with horror. I try my best to offer a reassuring smile but she can't take anymore and runs out of the room. Sighing, I try sitting up again but my attempt proves futile and once more I find myself buried in the pillow. Turning to face the door, I briefly wonder if Dalian's going to be ok. She's been through a lot. I keep forgetting that she witnessed my death in our previous existence. Under normal circumstances, I'd go after her to make sure she's ok but I can't even sit up right now. Whatever all that's about will have to wait.

Relaxing my muscles, I sink further into the rather soft mattress. It's quite comfortable and before long I find myself thinking about something else entirely. What happened to me anyway? My memory is a bit hazy but I remember there being a battle and then there was Enterprise. Did we fight? Is that why Dalian was so worried? I try to recall more but the only thing that comes is more pain. Flinching, I decide to abandon the thought for now and focus on something more lively but my mind quickly wanders to the girls of Dragon Empery. I hope they are safe.

Knock Knock

Opening my eyes reveal Enterprise standing at the door. She looks like she wants to be anywhere but here but she still comes in. A hand reaches in behind her and pulls the door closed. She comes over and takes a seat on the chair beside me but clearly doesn't know how to proceed from there. I myself am at a loss for what to do here as well. I still don't know what happened prior besides there being a battle and that Enterprise was there.

Both: So...

We both stop and stare at each other. She clearly wants to say something and I no doubt have the same look she has on my face. Still, she's the one that breaks eye contact first.

Enterprise: How...how are you feeling?

I don't know what I was expecting but I certainly wasn't expecting that. How do I respond? In truth, I'm not in pain or anything at the moment but it does bother me that I am devoid of strength. Still, I can't answer with that!

Me: I'm feeling fine. What about you?

She seems surprised though I can't tell whether it's because of my answer or the fact that I asked how she's doing. Regardless of which it is, however, she takes a while to respond and when she does, it's not what I expect.

Enterprise: You mean after you bombed our fleet or-

Me: I attacked you again? What were we fighting over this time? I'm-

Enterprise: What? No...we've only ever met like this once and that's right now. The other two times we've met was when your planes wrecked our fleet after we attacked and when you held the enemy at bay buying the rest of us enough time to mount a defence.

Me: Oh...

Enterprise: Wait, don't tell me you don't remember any of this!

As she raises her voice, the pain in my head returns and I wince once more. She notices and backs away immediately giving me room.

Enterprise: You're still in pain.

Me: It's fine, really.

She laughs at this and stands. She walks over to the door and looks back at me before seemingly making a decision. Opening it, she calls out the name Vestal then returns to her seat beside my bed. I'm about to ask her what that's about when a young girl comes running into the room with what looks like a toolbox in tow.

Me: What's this about?

Enterprise: You reminded me of me, in pain and damaged but still ignoring the requests of those around me to just keep fighting a bit longer. So, I've decided that we're going to both work on getting better, together.

Me: I thought you said you were fine.

Enterprise: Mmm. I guess I must have followed you and lied. Now then, Vestal, do you think you can have us both ready soon?

Vestal: Well, you are both damaged pretty badly but I can fix you if you actually follow through and don't do anything rash until the repairs are done. As for our guest, I can try but it'll take some time if any of her tech is damaged. I wouldn't even know where to begin on systems that advanced.

Enterprise: Well, what do you say?

She turns back towards me and holds out her hand.

Enterprise: Join me?