Chapter 36 - Where have you been?

Start from the beginning

What did his request really matter anyway?

If Voldemort so much as gained access to a single one of his thoughts, Severus knew that his life, along with his darling's and their children's, would end before he had the chance to ask Dumbledore to keep his word.

—————————————————————

Severus prided himself on the fact that Voldemort continued to be none the wiser to his true loyalty, whether that had resulted from his skill as an Occlumens or from the blind faith Voldemort vested in him.

Regardless, a week later, Severus sat next to Lily at the Malfoys' elegant dining table one evening while Voldemort held a grand feast in his own honour.

Severus felt grateful that he had managed to continue his work........and his status among the living.

It took a great amount of mental energy for him to shield both himself and Lily, or Laima, from Voldemort's prying mind, but as they ate their meal and listened to their supposed leader's speech, he performed his necessary task well.

Voldemort grinned proudly as he glanced around the table and prided himself on his established team of skilled followers.

The Malfoys were present, along with The Lestranges, Rodolphus Black, Yaxley, Barty Crouch Junior, and several others.

"My friends......" Voldemort began as he opened his pale arms in a grand gesture.

A full plate sat willfully ignored in front of him as a silent demonstration to prove that he no longer needed mortal sustenance.

Everyone lowered their forks and knives to give their dark master their full attention.

Voldemort grinned while he continued, "So great each and every one of your contributions has been to our cause that I can hardly contain my own glee on this night! Severus, let me commend you first, for your excellent work as my second in command. You truly are a prodigy at the Dark Arts! They suit you well!"

Voldemort silenced himself as his serpentine eyes bore into Severus while he eagerly waited for him to speak.

Lily clutched his hand under the table as Severus swallowed and answered, "Thank you, my lord.......I am not worthy of your praise, it is merely my honour to serve you and remain by your side."

Silence fell around the room.

As everyone at the table stared at Severus and Lily, the couple resisted the urge to let panicked fear flood their thoughts.

Without warning, Voldemort opened his mouth to let out a great guffaw of unbridled laughter, "HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

In an eerie echo, everyone at the table began to laugh as well until Voldemort threw glares at his elite and silenced them with a swift motion of his hand.

Lily did not miss the look of rageful envy on Bellatrix's pale face as she stared daggers at Severus, clearly angry that she had been demoted while he had risen in the Dark Lord's ranks.

What disturbed Lily more though was the noticeable disapproval in Narcissa's blue stare, as her gaze flickered from her to Severus.

"SILENCE!" Voldemort hissed after the laughter had already ceased.

All of the remaining mirthful expressions faded away as serious frowns manifested on the Death Eaters' faces.

"In light of our recent victory," Voldemort continued, "I thought it best to announce that our work will continue in a similar path for the time being. I want to focus on cultivating fear, recruiting support, and of course.......finding the wretched Potter child!"