Chapter 162

Jennie

It's a Thursday, and the day was long. Jisoo wants me to go with her to help find a dress for a dinner date with Hae-in's parents. I agree, because we haven't spent much time together lately and, no matter how well Lisa and I are getting along, I'm not keen on losing one of my closest friends. It takes a total of three stores before she finds something that's even worth trying on, and then another four stores before she finds the dress she likes. I'm exhausted and complain the way I usually do while shopping, and we stop at a local restaurant for food and drinks.

"Are you nervous about meeting his parents?" I ask her.

She pops a fry into her mouth. "No. Parents always love me."

I nod. She's always been full of confidence, and I envy her for it.

"Are you nervous about meeting Lisa's parents?"

I shake my head. "I've already met them. Back when we were...you know."

She grins. "Oh, yeah. Do they know about all of that?"

God, I hope not. We can forget about good first-or even second-impressions. I'll never be able to weasel my way back into their good graces again. And while I doubt it's something Lisa would broadcast, I'm not really sure whether Rosé would say anything. "I don't know."

"Better make sure you ask Lisa about it before you see them again," she warns me knowingly.
"Yeah, yeah." We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I use the bathroom before we leave. When I'm exiting the room, I spot someone at the bar - the only person I know who has the ability to make my heart rate increase in pure panic. But I force myself to remain cool and slowly walk to my seat, my eyes glued to the back of his head even though I will myself to look away.

I'm almost at the table when he turns, his cold grey eyes meeting mine. And I freeze, unsure what to do.

His eyebrows raise in recognition and he grins, but it isn't pleasant or inviting. And it also doesn't last long, because there's a beautiful blonde on his left that steals his attention away.

Jisoo has followed my line of vision and is out of her seat. We leave the restaurant in a hurry and the cold eyes don't seek mine again.

"Was that Kai?" Jisoo hisses once we're outside.

I quickly nod, still shaken. But he won't do anything to me...right? Don't be so fucking naïve, Jennie. "Yes, and he freakin' saw me!" I tell her.

"I'll go back in and rip his dick off. I'll do it right there at the bar," she offers. There's no humour in her words. "That'll just piss him off," I say, shaking my head. "I don't want to have anything to do with him anymore. He hasn't done anything to me."

"Lately," she mutters.

"Yeah, well. Maybe he's moved on to more interesting prey."

"Obviously. Did you see that chick on his arm? What are her boobs, like triple fucking Z's?"

"I'm not sure, but they were scary looking," I whisper.

Jisoo giggles and fondles her own breasts. "You can't beat al naturale."

We get into her car, and I turn to look at the restaurant as we pull away. It's been weeks since I've seen or heard from Kai - since the day I punched him in the face-and even now he isn't showing much interest in me. Maybe he really has moved on.

Nonetheless, I can completely sympathize with Rosé's paranoia.