Chapter 24

Lisa

She stares at me, dumbfounded, and I can't help but think I've made a smart move by coming here. Then she shuts off her phone and gives me that sleepy-eyed, overly large, med-induced grin. I realise she's higher than a kite, which I'd noticed over the phone and nearly forgotten...fuck. This girl makes everything impossible.

"Lisa," she gushes. "What are you doing here? I didn't think you were coming back until the weekend."

I give a small shrug and a sheepish smile as I shut off my phone. "I couldn't stay away," I say smoothly. "You surprised?"

"Yes." She grins again.

"Can I come in?"

She hesitates. "Oh! Yeah, um, come on." She shuts the door behind me as I enter and then starts poking and prodding at the bag in my hand. "What's this?"

"Lasagne and wine."

"Lasagne? Where did it come from? Is it already cooked?" She tries to take it from me.

"Slow down....it has to cook for an hour. And I got it at this really good Italian place in Busan. They make lasagne and freeze them so you can cook them at home."

"Okay," she says, finally succeeding in taking the bag. She carries it to the kitchen and sets the wine and lasagne on the counter. "I'll go ahead and put it in the oven."

"The directions are on the top of the container."

I glance around the apartment and see that it's small but cosy. The couch is large and plush, with soft pillows and a maroon throw across the back. There are several pictures on the wall and shelves - I glance at the closest one and see that it's Jennie and the kid from the bar. They're very young, probably around ten years old, and Jennie is in a one-piece bathing suit, all skinny legs and awkwardness.

She also has several candles and a small entertainment stand full of DVDs. The bouquet of flowers sits on the kitchen counter and takes up nearly all the room. And just as Jennie had stated, I can smell them from several feet away.

"What are these?" I look over and find Jennie holding the movies I brought. She's examining the titles.

"I thought we could watch a movie. We don't have to, though, if you'd rather do something else."

"No," she interjects, "a movie sounds good. Psycho...The Exorcist...The Shining?" She quirks an eyebrow at me.

"What?" I ask innocently. "You don't like scary movies?"

I'm sure it's glaringly obvious why I only brought horror flicks. They work - what can I say? Women look for any excuse they can to cling to their date during these movies.

"I'm not a big fan of horror movies," she states flatly and shoves them back in the bag. Oh... "But I'm sure I have something you'll like." She saunters over to her entertainment stand, swinging her hips lightly as she does. I shamelessly stare, fully aware that she can't see me.

"Let's see..." she says, scanning the titles. She suddenly starts plucking movies out at random. I catch a few titles...Dirty Dancing, Clueless, Sense and Sensibility...

Holy Shit! Is she seriously going to recommend a chick flick? Over a horror movie? Seriously??

She finds one she is apparently pleased with because she turns around to face me, smiling widely.

"Can we please watch this one?" she asks, hugging the movie to her chest. "It's my favourite movie ever."

I'm almost a little scared to ask.