Chapter 9

Lisa

Will she be game tonight? She certainly doesn't seem sexually repressed. First the song and then the chocolate cake foreplay. Is the main event drawing near?

Her tongue suddenly darts out, licking up the chocolate, and I blink and look away before I'm caught blatantly staring again. My actions need to be stealthy tonight.

The server returns my card. I tip and we leave. The night air is chilly - as soon as we step outside a crisp breeze assaults us, whipping Jennie's hair across her face. She throws her head back, struggling to toss her hair behind her, and I realise she's in nothing but a thin, short, sleeveless dress.

Beautiful, but not practical. I shrug out of my coat and hand it to her. "Here," I say.

She brushes off my thoughtful gesture. "I'm not cold," she refuses, and shivers.

"You're a terrible liar, Jennie."

She rolls her eyes and reaches for the coat - I step behind her, slipping it on her arms. It's huge on her - she almost looks naked beneath it, her dress just barely poking out at the hem. It's quite a sight to behold - it sends my imagination spinning into overdrive.

"It'll be warm in the car," she continues to argue. Why? I have no idea... she's already wearing the coat. I've already won.

"What kind of person would I be if I let my date freeze?"

"A pretty ordinary one," she promptly answers. We reach the car and I open the passenger door - she slips lithely inside.

I join her, quickly starting the engine and turning on the heater. "You've never been on a date with a decent person, then."

She shrugs. "Depends on your definition."

"Oh? And how would you define such?"

She grins slyly. "A decent person would never let a woman out-eat and out-drink him, and certainly not all in one sitting."

I laugh. "True. Not very lady-like of the woman, though," I tease.

"Or just pathetically sad for the other person - however you choose to see it."

"I guess I'll need to wear my buffet pants the next time we dine."

"Next time?" She raises both eyebrows inquisitively. "Someone sure is self-assured."

"Just hopeful," I correct, smiling lightly at her. She seems surprised at first, but quickly relaxes and gives me an easy smile of her own.

We reach her apartment and I park. She begins to remove my coat, but before she has the chance to undress - or say good-bye - I've cut the engine and stepped out of the car. Startled, she whips her eyes up to meet mine, through the windshield.

She looks taken aback when I open the door. I hold my hand out to her - she just stares at it as if it's something awful.

"What are you doing?" she asks, wide-eyed. What's her deal?

"Walking you to your apartment, of course."

"You don't have to do that..."

"Come on, Jennie. Again... what kind of date would I be? I'm not going to let you freeze on the way inside, and I really do need that coat before I return to Busan tomorrow."

She hesitates, but finally places her hand inside of mine. "You're going back to Busan?" she asks, stepping out of the car.

"Well... I think I got to work to keep up with my lifestyle, no?"

She doesn't respond, and we walk side-by-side into the front lobby of her apartment, her hand still in mine. She seems tense all of a sudden. I can't place this new reaction from her. I halfway expect her to shove me off as soon as we step inside, but she allows me to accompany her up the stairwell, to an apartment door labelled "2703." Once there, she turns to look at me, shrugging out the coat.

"Well, this is my door," she mumbles, shoving the coat into my chest. "Thanks for the dinner. Um - I'll call you?"

She obviously found humour in her words because she grins crookedly at me. Damn this girl has some crazy mood swings.

"I'd like that," I say.

"Good. Well, um, I should probably go."

Now she seems desperate to get away. Maybe this is where Kai had problems - fuck I need to quit thinking about him.

She turns to go, but I stop her. It seems pretty obvious she isn't going to invite me inside, but I need to do... something. "Jennie." She pauses and looks at me. "I really had a great time tonight. Thanks for agreeing to go out with me."

She nods and I lean in, slowly, wondering if I should kiss her on the cheek or go for the whole shebang, and yet suddenly my lips are an inch from hers... no, scratch that - mere centimetres - and I can practically feel that strange sensation on my lips, leaping from her skin to mine in the close proximity.

She's stopped breathing - frozen and longing. I lean closer, the pull increasing...

And suddenly she's gone, her face snatched from mine in a hasty retreat.

"OkayIgottagothanksbye!" Her rushed words are cut short as she slips inside and slams the door in my face.

What... the... fuck...