Chapter 78

Jennie

In the faint recesses of my dream I hear an alarm. The sound is so far away it seems to be nothing but a whisper, a hushed pleading for me to awake.

I open one eye and, in doing so, it's like my entire body comes to life. I suddenly feel a crick in my neck, an ache in my shoulder, and a very warm body pressed against my back. Two strong arms encircle me, holding me tightly, their crushing grip the only thing keeping me from plunging to the floor as I teeter dangerously on the edge of the small couch. Slow, deep breaths blow hot air against my neck.

I suddenly remember where I am and what has happened. I'm afraid to move, our bodies moulded so closely together that my stirring movements are sure to wake her. When did I fall asleep? The last thing I remember was "The Facts of Life" theme song playing in the background as I basked in the aftermath of Lisa's proposal, finally feeling at ease after what proved to be a mentally exhausting day. And her soft lips against mine as she admitted that she liked me. Was she telling the truth? A part of me hopes so. A big part.

I don't know why I yearn for something more from her. In the end, she still made the bet on me. It's such a terrible thing to do, something that seems against his character, but do I really know her? Or is it all just an act? Is everything she's telling me a lie?

I can't be sure, though one thing is certain: she remains dishonest. Why won't she admit to the bet? I haven't outed her yet, but it seems as though it would make things easier if she just admitted to it all herself.

Again, I ponder at the terms of the bet. Money seems like too much of a trivial thing. Besides, Lisa seems to have plenty. But what else could it be? Does Kai have some dirt on Lisa? Could he be blackmailing Lisa? But no, Mino said Lisa willingly took the bet. If that's the case, it could be a number of things.

Lisa sighs behind me, pulling me even tighter against her chest. I love the feeling of being pressed against her, of feeling her heart beating against my back, her breath in my hair. Her body is hard and warm and comfortable, her jeans an unpleasant barrier between us.

Then she shifts, and I feel it. It. Against my back, digging right into the crack of my ass, a mere two inches shy of the danger zone. Holy mother of Jesus, someone save me now. What do I do? Wake her? Move away? If I scoot over any further I'll tumble off the couch.

I can feel my face heating, the warmth spreading all the way to my chest, as I debate every available option. Thankfully, Lisa puts me out of my misery moments later by loosening her hold and stirring, her thingy pointing in a much safer direction.

"Mmm... Jennie?" she mumbles. Her arm unwraps itself from my body and she rubs her face sleepily.

"Yeah?" I croak. My voice is thick with sleep.

"What are you--" She sits up a little, nearly catapulting me off the couch, but she quickly grabs a hold of me again before I fall. "What time is it?"

My alarm has finally stopped, giving up, but I know what time it's set to go off each morning. "About six-thirty."

"Oh." She relaxes back against the couch, simultaneously pulling me against her.

"I have to get up, though," I reluctantly admit. Now that her little... distraction... is no longer poking me in the rear, I can relax and simply enjoy this rare feeling of comfort.

"What time do you work?" she mumbles against my neck. I can feel her lips grazing the skin, her breath heating me throughout, and I get chill bumps all over.

"Eight," I breathe.

"Five more minutes." She nuzzles into my neck and that amount of time sounds painfully short.