Chapter 67

Lisa

Everyone is already waiting when we arrive at the restaurant. Rosé hops up to meet us before we even make it through the foyer; linking her arm through Jennie's she says, "Good, you're here! Come look at the fish!" They migrate to the transparent bridge, their heels clicking on the plastic as they stare at the creatures swimming below.

Chitthip is bemused by the time we make it to the table. "Rosé, at least let her sit down first," she scolds. She and Marco stand to greet us, both smiling warmly at Jennie, who blushes and looks uncomfortable in return.

"Jennie, it's so nice to meet you," Marco greets her, giving her hand a firm shake. Chitthip takes us both by surprise by wrapping her in a hug - I've never seen her so affectionate with anyone who isn't family.

"Um, it's nice to meet you, too," Jennie stutters. Everyone is all smiles, their attention locked on the flushing brown-haired beauty at our table. No one has even acknowledged that I'm here. Jennie is clearly uncomfortable.

"Rosé has already told us a lot about you. She already seems quite taken with you. I'll admit I was a little surprised when she said you were coming..." Chitthip's eyes flicker to mine, and I suppress a groan. "But I can't say I'm not pleased. So, how did you two meet?"

Jennie looks to me uncertainly, as if worried she'll say the wrong thing. In a sudden, bold swing of confidence she says, "Well, it was at this nice little place in Seoul. Lisa asked me to dance." She purposely omits that we met at a club.

"Oh yes, Lisa's always been fond of dancing. Of all music, really. Have you heard her play the piano?"

Jennie's attention is instantly captured. "No, why? Is she good?" Again, it's like I'm not here. It's already looking to be a long night.

I hastily clear my throat. "Chitthip, she doesn't want to hear about that."

"Nonsense, Lisa. She asked, didn't she?"

Before I can argue the server arrives to take our drink order, creating a pause in the conversation, but as soon as he leaves they pick up as though there was never an interruption. Chitthip leans in close to Jennie as if sharing a secret - as if they're already the best of friends.

"Lisa's always been modest about her playing," she goes on, "but you should hear her. It's incredible."

"Yeah, she composes, too," supplies Rosé, and Jennie's eyebrows immediately shoot to her hairline.

Marco, as if sensing my distress, leans over and whispers, "They'll go in for the kill eventually. The pack is increasing in numbers."

The women ramble on and on as though I am not even here; between Chitthip and Rosé, Jennie doesn't have a spare moment to think. My discomfort seems to mount with each little aspect of my life they reveal, yet I manage to smile calmly at Jennie every time she glances my way.

I eventually manage to capture her attention. "Did you want some sushi, Jennie?" At the mention of sushi, Rosé looks like she's going to swoon right out of her seat. What's with her?

"Oh, sure," Jennie says. She leans in closer to peruse the menu, and I get a whiff of her perfume.

"What do you like?" She's so close, so close... my grip on the pencil tightens.

"I like most all of it," I say, "but you can order whatever you want."

She leans in even closer, her eyes searching mine, and our shoulders brush. "Can I just have a few pieces of yours?" she asks sweetly.

Sharing sushi: a first for me. Another first for me, as this whole week has been nothing but one first after a fucking other. Why stop now?

"Of course you can."

Satisfied, she smiles and leans back, and I exhale a breath I hadn't even realized I'd been holding. Fuck. Why does her close proximity make me feel this way? Unnerved, I grab my water and take a large swallow. I realize Rosé is watching us with rapt attention; I frown and quickly look away.

The server comes to take our orders and pick up the sushi selections. Another couple is seated with us around the Hibachi grill, their seats in the corner. They're young and fresh and obviously in love. With shy smiles they say hello before taking their seats, their chairs squashed together with hardly an inch of space between.

Our soup and salads are brought out as Chitthip continues the Spanish Inquisition on poor Jennie. I find myself pitying her, not having realized how strenuous this whole meet-the-parents process must be. Luckily, she manages to take it all in stride, answering the bombardment of questions with an endearing hint of bashfulness and assurance. Pattie is just eating her up, positively glowing in adoration.

Eventually, during one of Chitthip's rare inhalations, Jeremy manages to squeeze in a question. "So, where do you work, Jennie?"

"The Korea Herald," she answers automatically. Marco cocks a curious eyebrow, intrigued.

"Oh? What do you do there?"