Chapter 92

Jennie

I get ready for work in a rush. I leave Louis a monstrous pile of food while resolving that I'll have to come back on my lunch break to feed him again. I throw a few toys in the living room and pray that my furniture will be in one piece when I get back.

I make sure not to touch him, but even so, I find myself lint rolling my black top and cursing.

I stay fairly busy throughout the day so that work passes quickly. After work, I race home to feed Louis and shove a sandwich down my throat. I still haven't talked to Jisoo, but I've thought about it the entire day.

Around two o'clock, I send her a text message.

Jennie: You are dead to me.

I'm halfway joking but turn my phone on vibrate so that, even if she responds, I won't get the message until later. I figure it'll be best to let her ponder that little bit for a while. She'll have a few hours to really let it sink in.

After work, I feed Louis again. He devours all his food like I haven't fed him the entire day, looking up at me with milk dripping from the fur around his mouth. I believe he's saying thank you. I stroke his back once, communicating that I'm grateful the furniture hasn't been ripped to shreds, and then wash the hair off my hand in the sink.

I brush Louis after his dinner, removing thick grey wads of fur from his back and belly. He rolls around on the couch so that I won't miss a spot and purrs.

When I'm done I lint roll the couch.

After the cat has been taken care of I finally check my phone to see if Jisoo replied only to find two messages from Lisa, each sent three hours apart. My heart skips a beat and I check them first.

Lisa: I've been thinking about you all day

Lisa: Busy today?

I'm grinning from ear to ear as I reply.

Jennie: Sorry I missed you, I had my phone on vibrate. I've been thinking about you, too.

When I'm done I check my message from Jisoo. She actually called before sending a text.

Jisoo: What the fuck are you talking about?

I call her back and she answers on the first ring.

"Why hello Miss 'dead to me,'" she says sourly into the phone. "To what do I owe the pleasure of an actual phone call rather than a cryptic text message?"

I roll my eyes. She will not intimidate me, damn it.

"You know what you did," I say. "So don't even try to deny it."

"What are you talking about?"

"You spoke to Hanbin."

"Yeah, so? He called me."

"You also gave him my address. And you told him to make a surprise visit with flowers and wine." Jisoo gasps. "You mean he actually did it?"

Now I'm damn near livid. "Yes he did it! He also did it while Lisa was over."

She pauses, and I know she's considering my words. "So?"

"So?" I echo.

"So I bet that put Lisa's tighties all in a twist. It's brilliant, actually. Just wait till I tell Hae-in."

"No, Jisoo. Do not tell Hae-in. I'm pissed off. I told you I didn't want to see Hanbin and you didn't listen to me."

"Oh, come on, Jennie. Hanbin treated you like a princess."