Chapter 7

Lisa

Bicena is one of the more high-class restaurants in Seoul. It's located on the Han River, offering a spectacular view. I wasn't surprised Jennie chose this place - she's not the first girl to choose such a high-end restaurant, especially once they discover I can afford it, but she's one of the very few that I've accompanied to such a place.

Most girls only get the pleasure of my company in bed.

We're seated and given our menus. A server comes to take our order, a pretty young girl, and she flushes when she sees me - Jennie witnesses her reaction and eyes her carefully.

I turn to Jennie. "Do you drink wine?"

"Yes," she confirms.

"Pinot Noir?" She nods, and I order us two glasses. The server scurries away.

Jennie immediately begins pouring over the menu. I've eaten here before - I already know what I want - so I watch her carefully instead, noting the way she bites her bottom lip thoughtfully as she reads.

She glances up suddenly and catches me staring at her. She flushes. "What?"

I smile. "Nothing. Do you know what you want as an appetiser?"

"The snow crab rice sounds good."

"That is good. I've had it."

"Oh really? What else is good, then? You seem to come here plenty."

"The Bicena's sticky steak with kimchi is actually my favourite."

She grins then, her entire face lighting up as she regards me humorously. I can only stare - she has a beautiful smile... wait a second, is she making fun of me?

"What?" I ask, defensively.

"Say that again," she prompts.

"Say what again?"

"Sticky steak."

She is making fun of me. At least she has a sense of humour - I like that. And she's not giggling brainlessly over every word I say - I like that, too. I decide to tease her.

"I don't think so," I say. "I think you've had enough fun at my expense."

"Come on... please? You'll have to say it again when you order."

The server interrupts us by delivering our wine. When she enquired about appetisers I say, "The snow crab rice, please."

"Are you ready to order your entrees or would you like another moment?"

I look at Jennie - she's thoroughly disappointed about my order. When she realises I'm waiting to see if she's decided on her entrée, she quickly straightens and says, "Oh, God no. I've never been here. I need a few minutes, please."

"Of course." The server leaves again.

Jennie takes a sip of her wine, her eyes locked with mine. "Well, that wasn't fair," she says. "I really wanted the sticky steak."

I smile. "Now you've said it."

"Said what?" she asks innocently.

"You know."

"You mean sticky steak? I said it earlier. It just seems... strange... coming from you."

I'm intrigued. "Strange? How so?"

She shrugs and turns to her menu again. "I don't know."

She asks my opinion for an entree and eventually decides on the stewed abalone with ginseng. The server takes our menus, and we're left with nothing as a buffer. Jennie picks at her cloth napkin, her eyes lowered. I hate uncomfortable silences. Time to work some magic...

"So, Jennie." I lean towards her, to show her I'm interested. "What do you do?"

She raises her eyes slowly to my gaze. Like depthless pools of chocolate, they bore into mine.

"I'm a copy editor for The Korea Herald," she answers. I already know this - one of the few details Kai had provided last night at the club.

"The Korea Herald - that's a big job."

She shrugs. "I like it. I like editing."

"How long have you worked there?"

"Just over a year."

"What about your parents?"

She eyes me warily. "What about them?"

"What do they do?"

She seems thoughtful for a moment. She's picking at the cloth again... "My mom lives in Busan with her husband, Richard. She does a little bit of everything - she goes through these phases. Right now I think she's in school to be a massage therapist." She scrunches her nose, trying to remember.

"Your mom and dad are divorced?"

"Yes."

"What about your dad? What does he do?"

"He's the chief of police in Daegu."

"He's not married?"

"No. He's not very... social."

I hum in acknowledgment and take a sip of my wine - Jennie jumps at the opportunity and asks, "So what about you? What do you do?"

"I'm the CEO of Manoban Financial Group."

She just... stares at me. Her expression is unreadable. Then she silently lifts her wine glass to her lips and takes a very healthy sip. I stay silent during this time, watching her closely, waiting for her response.

She clears her throat and sets her glass down - it's almost empty. "So, umm... CEO," she says.

"Yes."

"Do CEO's always go out clubbing in their spare time? Doesn't seem very professional." She now regards me with disdain. Did I do something wrong? She downs the rest of her wine.

"Would you like another?" I ask, referring to her empty glass.

She nods. "Please."

I call the waitress over and order us both another glass. The appetiser arrives before the wine, and we begin eating in silence. Jennie is the first to speak again.

"You never answered my question."

Shit... I rack my brain, trying to remember the question to which she's referring... oh right, the clubbing thing.

"You mean about the clubbing?" She nods, and I shrug my shoulders in indifference.

"Sometimes... CEOs do need to let loose once in a while... so to speak. And actually, Jennie..." I lean close again, speaking softly, "... since I own the company, I can do whatever the hell I want."

I hear her sharp intake of breath as she leans away from me. She's eyeing me warily. She looks almost... nervous?

"Well..." she stutters, "I guess you can't beat that." She takes another long drink of wine. Damn, she needs to slow down before I have to carry her out of here.

A few minutes later our food comes. Jennie digs into her plate like it's her last meal - it's a little refreshing to see a woman order something besides a salad.

"So..." says Jennie, "Where do you live?"

"I do have houses both here in Seoul and Busan."

"Both?" I nod. "So you drive back and forth? Why not just get a hotel here or in Busan?"

I smile politely at her ignorance. "Having my own apartment feels more like home."

She nods in understanding. "So, what about your parents?"

I tense, slightly - I don't really feel like revealing that fucked up part of my life. Not with her. But I can't completely shut her out, either, or else she won't trust me.

She's watching me shrewdly, no doubt puzzled by my reaction. I sigh.

"I'm adopted, actually."