Chapter 81

Jennie

"Are you shitting me? This doesn't complicate things, it simplifies. Dump Lisa's lying ass and go with Hanbin. You've had your fun with her, and now she'll still lose the bet." Jisoo's words slice through the receiver like knives.

"I don't know if I even like Hanbin," I grumble. I'm in the process of pulling up to her apartment - we bicker back in forth on the phone as I make my way inside.

"You used to like him. You used to like him a lot, if I recall correctly," she states.

"That was a long time ago. I've matured since then."

"Matured to what, Jennie?" she asks, exasperated. "You've been running around the last week playing games with Lisa..."

"Your boyfriend's best friend," I interrupt.

"--who is just trying to sleep with you. At least Hanbin is a good guy."

"Who's to say I have to choose? Maybe I'll stay single a bit longer."

"God, and do what? Die alone with your ninety cats?"

"Open the door, you twat. I'm here."

Her door swings open and we close our cell phones at the same time.

"I don't have a fucking cat," I grumble. "Nor am I getting one." She moves aside as I enter her apartment.

"Well could you tell Hae-in that? He's been driving me fucking nuts talking about getting you a cat for this little charade."

"I have told him. And what's with you? The last time we spoke you were giving me ideas. Now you're going all Mother Teresa on me."

She crosses her arms, her expression one of steadfast defiance. "You're falling for Lisa," she deadpans. "And I don't like it."

I'm shocked. I try to look offended. "I am not," I argue.

"Bullshit. You have a hot guy for the wedding so you don't need Lisa anymore. Yet you refuse to let her go."

"The whole plan was to torture her!"

"Yes, cuddling on the couch sounds awful. We're lucky she's still alive." Her words ooze of sarcasm. I knew I shouldn't have told her about that.

"That wasn't planned," I defend. "I've done all the things you suggested and I even went to dinner with her fucking parents."

She points one of her sharp talons right into my chest. "You want to torture her, you make her sleep on the floor." She enunciates each syllable forcefully and I take an unconscious step backwards.

"I didn't mean to fall asleep."

"Yes, and I'm sure you just 'stumbled' into her lips before you left. Before we know it you'll be 'stumbling' onto her dick."

Gosh, she can be such a bitch sometimes.

I don't respond. Hell, to be honest, I feel as though she's just sucker-punched me in the gut. I'm without words.

She sees my wounded expression and softens. "Jennie, I'm sorry. I don't mean to be a bitch." I snort, but she ignores me. "I'm just worried about you."

I'm glad she's finished lashing out at me, yet I can't help the pain in my chest at what has proved to be another hectic and exhausting day. "Well, I can make my own decisions," I sullenly state. "I'm an adult."

"You know I love you, Jennie. But if Lisa hurts you I'll have to cut her dick off. You know you don't want that to happen." Her tone is completely serious, and I smile despite my glum mood.

"I actually like knowing I have that sort of security," I admit.

"Good. I'm not trying to dictate your life, you know."

"I know."

"I just want you to make wise decisions."

"I know my limits, Jisoo."

"I know you do."