Chapter 4

Jennie

I walk away. I can feel her eyes on me all the way back to the table. Jisoo stiffens in my presence - as soon as I sit she leans over and hisses, "What the hell, Jennie?"

I tense, defensive. "I can explain," I say hastily. Mino is shaking his head in disbelief.

"Yes, please do," Jisoo grumbles. She crosses her arms and leans back, waiting for me to begin. My paranoia makes another appearance.

"I'll explain in the cab. You guys ready?" I take a huge sip of my water... please don't be poisoned... but how could it be? I watched the bartender make it – oh lord, paranoia, go away!

"Yes," she huffs, standing up. "I just have to know what the hell you were thinking."

Together, we make our way outside and hail a cab. We cram inside - Mino in the front, Jisoo and I in the back. Jisoo immediately pounces.

"Spill the beans, Jennie Kim."

Sheesh... give me a moment. I eye the driver carefully, wondering if I want to divulge this crazy, messed-up part of my life with him here. Screw it.

"Well, Mino told me what she said, of course... about Kai. And I just figured... I don't know... that I could string her along for a little bit. Then I'd have a date for the wedding..."

Jisoo rolls her eyes. "Is that all you care about? Having a date for the wedding?"

"No! I mean, it would be nice to have one..."

"Are you going to sleep with her?"

"Jisoo! Are you serious? You know me."

"Yes, but I never thought you would do anything like this!"

"What's the big deal? I let her buy me dinner a few times, act like I'm interested. Then after the wedding, I kick her to the curb where she belongs."

"I just don't want to see you get hurt, Jennie."

I roll my eyes. "No worries, Jisoo. I know how she is... I'm not stupid enough to let myself get attached to her. It'll just be good fun."

She doesn't look convinced. Staring at her hands, she's thoughtful... and then unexpectedly she breaks out in a big, goofy grin. "You know what? You're right. You can really have fun with this. You should order the most expensive thing on the menu! Do you know where you're going yet?" It's like we're teenagers again - she's bouncing in the seat with glee. Mino rolls his eyes at her.

"Well, I don't think it's a good idea," he grumbles.

"Trust me - I plan on it," I confirm, feeling wicked. "We're going to Bicena... if she can get a reservation. I don't know. And don't worry, Mino. It's just for two weeks. I can take care of myself."

"If she touches you, let me know. I won't hesitate to whoop her ass."

"I'll keep you on speed-dial," I promise with a grin. I'm feeling good about my plan again - it only seems that much better with my two best friends here for support. This is going to be fun.

"Bicena - good choice. I've been there once. It's easy to rack up a high bill there." Jisoo approves of my dining choice.

I grin and nudge her. "So what about you and tall guy?"

She cocks an eyebrow. "Tall guy?"

"That guy you were dancing with."

"Oh! His name's Hae-in. He seemed really cool - I gave him my phone number." She's all smiles again, looking slightly sheepish. This is so unlike her - she's never affected by a man and she rarely gives out her number, preferring to take their number instead. That way, if she changes her mind by morning, she can chuck it and forget it ever happened. Whoa - this Hae-in must be some character. I hate to rain on her parade, but as a friend I have no choice. It all comes down to possibly protecting her from the evil doings of Kai. She at least deserves to be forewarned.

"I hate to tell you this, Jisoo, but he is friends with Lisa. So just... be careful, okay?"

She's confused. "Who's Lisa?"

"Lisa... Kai's friend..." I realise I'd never told them her name.

"Oh!" She looks slightly put out, but quickly regains her composure and forces a smile. "That's okay," she assures. "I can take care of myself, too." Her happy glow is still there, but it's now only a dull gleam.

The driver, who'd remained professionally silent, drops me off first. I make for the elevator and head to my apartment. It's a little place - small and cosy, with matching furniture and tons of pictures on the walls. I love pictures - they're the only thing that effectively mask the loneliness that's encompassed here. The loneliness which screams at me - "Jennie, you're twenty-four. Why can't you find a decent partner for life?"

I check my phone and realise I have a text from Lisa. It was sent some time ago - probably right after I gave her my number.

Lisa: Save my number, beautiful. I'll be picking you up at seven sharp, just send the address. – L

I smile, despite myself - I'm looking forward to our little "date" - and quickly text her back my address before chucking the phone on the kitchen counter.

I head straight for the bedroom, bypassing the loneliness - just for now - and go to sleep.