Chapter 69

Lisa

I have no idea what I must look like, but I figure it can't be good. I'm flustered beyond belief, actually finding myself anxious over what Jennie must think.

And then Jennie puts her hand on my knee. I look down at it, frozen in place, soon entranced as it slides further and further up my thigh...

Jennie's not even looking at me, making no indication that this is even happening.

"It could be worse," I vaguely hear Rosé offer. "My first job was piercing unsuspecting girls' ears at a place called Claire's in the mall."

Jennie looks intrigued, her hand still on my thigh. I try to ignore it. "That sounds like it would be fun," she reasons.

"It was fun... until I shot an earring an inch deep into my finger with that stupid gun. Look, I still have a scar." She leans across the table, her hand extended to Jennie. Suddenly, Jennie's hand leaves my thigh, an unnatural chill taking its place. She inspects Rosé's hand, grimacing appropriately when she sees the scar.

Then her hand is back... and some unknown entity inside of me rejoices.

Somehow, the conversation shifts to Marco and his work at the hospital. Jennie opens up and makes for an impressive conversationalist, asking all the right questions and giving tasteful input when appropriate. I can tell that Marco and Chitthip are already taken with her. And of course, get Chanyeol out of the way and Rosé would probably try to smuggle the poor girl to off for a quick elopement.

We're all talking about Marco's days as a resident when Jennie nudges me in the side. When I look at her, she gestures to the couple in the corner with a quick nod of her head. They're sitting so close together they practically fade into one person, their attention completely focused on each other as they talk in hushed voices with demure smiles. The rest of us don't exist.

"He's going to propose tonight," Jennie whispers in my ear, her breath hot on my skin.

"How do you know?"

"Can't you see how he looks at her? They're obviously in love." Jennie's voice is dreamy, yet I can't determine where this sudden blind faith is coming from. When the couple finally picks up and leaves, Jennie waves good-bye with a shy grin.

A few moments later I excuse myself to the bathroom. I'm surprised to find the man standing there in front of the mirror. I'm in awe to find him stroking a velvet ring box while he battles with his visible nerves.

Jennie was right. But how could she be? She must have seen the ring...

The man starts and looks up when I enter, then visibly relaxes when he sees it's only me. Just the onion disaster of a person from his table. "Hey," he says, slipping the box into his jacket pocket.

"Hey," I say coolly. I debate whether or not to mention the box. "Are you okay?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah, man. I'm fine." He looks anything but.

"You know, this is really none of my business, but my friend just told me you were going to propose."

He looks surprised. "Who said that?"

"Um, the girl I'm with. Jennie."

He chuckles nervously. "Either she's a mind-reader or it's just really obvious I'm sweating bricks over here." I smile compassionately but don't agree to either. "Sorry, man, I'm just really nervous. This is where we went on our first date, you know? Then we went downtown and walked along the river for a while. That's where we're headed next. I'm just trying to get my bearings." He splashes his face with cool water from the sink while he talks.

"I'm sure everything will go fine. You two seem very happy together."

And just who am I to give such assurance?

"Thanks, man."

When I'm done with my business I find the man still hovering over the sink. Still getting his bearings. He looks at me through the mirror.

"That girl..." he begins slowly, "... you said she was your friend?"

"Oh, uh... yeah. It's kind of complicated," I admit sheepishly. He snorts.

"What relationship isn't?" I nod in acquiescence and he continues. "But I saw you, when the cook was hitting on her and joking around. Maybe you should talk to her."

As I soap up my hands in the sink I repeat, "It's complicated."

He grimaces as though acknowledging he's crossed some invisible line. "I get it, man. There's nothing too complicated for someone you care about, though. You make it work. You ever been in love?" he asks.

I meet his eyes in the mirror. "No."

He raises his brows. "Yeah, guess not," he agrees. "You would know if you had been. This whole thing has turned my life upside down. She's literally all I fucking think about. Being with anyone else doesn't even appeal to me anymore." He snorts. "How crazy is that? I never thought these words would come out of my mouth, but she really makes me a better person."

I'm silent, frowning slightly as I allow his words to sink in. Before I can formulate a coherent response he's pulling paper towels from the dispenser noisily.

"Well, man, I got to go. Can't keep her waiting." He winks at me.

Before he's able to escape through the door I ask, "What's your name?"

He pauses. "Nate."

"Well it was nice meeting you, Nate. I'm Lisa. Good luck tonight."

He smiles and shakes my hand. "Thanks, Lisa. Good luck to you, too. Things will work out... if it's meant to be, things always find a way of working out." He exits through the door, the noisy hinge creaking in his wake.