Chapter 64

Lisa

I blink at Rosé, sure I've misunderstood her. "You did what?"

"I invited her to dinner. I'm not going to be in town long, and I wanted to get to know her some more before I left. I brought some clothes so she won't have to drive all the way back to Seoul just for something clean to wear." Rosé says this as though we're having the most natural conversation in the world. My eyes fall on Jennie, who's regarding me with wide, wary eyes. "Right, Jennie?" Rosé seeks her confirmation on the matter. This only seems to unnerve Jennie more.

"Um, yeah," she mutters. She looks at me. "Sorry, I completely forgot to mention it..."

"Oh, don't be sorry," Rosé interrupts. I'm aghast, unable to believe this is really happening. Are these girls conspiring against me?

"You don't mind, do you, Lisa?" Jennie asks, her tone uncertain.

What can I possibly say to that? Of course I mind, Jennie. I can think of nothing worse in the entire universe than having you accompany me to a family dinner. Well, except for this whole little bet thing I've forgotten to tell you about...

Yeah, that would go over real well. I tug my hair, certain this woman is going to drive me bald.
Rosé speaks before I have the chance. "Why would Lisa mind?" She looks from me to Jennie in question.

"I don't mind," I finally answer. Jennie doesn't look convinced.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," I say quickly, and then I repeat Rosé's earlier question. "Why would I mind? Of course you can come."

I replay the statement in my head, hoping to let it sink in. Hoping to find some truth in the words. But I do mind. I've never brought a girl home to meet Chitthip and Marco. And Jennie, well, she's an incredible girl - I can think of no one better to bring home - but I've still only known her for a week. That's not even taking into consideration what will happen if she learns the truth of our relationship. Holy fuck, I think I need a drink - my life is becoming a soap opera.

Rosé bounces over to Jennie. "Come on, let's go change and make sure all the clothes fit." Jennie looks at me again, still wary, and I force a smile to reassure her that everything is fine. They disappear up the stairs, Rosé chattering madly about one of the dresses she brought.

When I hear the door close upstairs, I release a suppressed sigh. I want to call Hae-in, but I already know what he'll say: "What's the problem, man? You obviously like her. It's about time you brought a girl home for dinner... for fuck's sake, your folks just might think there's something wrong with your buddy down there."

Hae-in has never approved of my behaviour. He loves women, cherishing them, never showing blatant disrespect. Until now, I'd like to think I never have either, although some would disagree. But everything has been consensual; I've never pressured anyone into doing something they didn't want to do. I'd never pressure Jennie, either...

But I'd lie to her. I'd lie and tell her things she wants to hear, things to make her blush. I'd tell her things that leave her wanting more, aching for more...

And that's disrespectful.

I enter the kitchen, shaking my head in forlorn realization. Perhaps I should just tell her. Perhaps, tonight, I will.

I pour a small glass of brandy and swallow it down, not enough to get drunk, but hopefully enough to take the edge off. I find my phone and notice I have a missed call from Chitthip. When did it ring? She left a message. "Lisa, honey, call me back when you get this. Rosé told me you have a friend coming for dinner and I just... gosh, honey, I don't even have words right now. I'm just so anxious to meet this lucky girl..."

Jesus, this isn't good. Alone, in my living room, I call her back. I can't hear a sound from upstairs no matter how hard I strain.

"Lisa!" she gushes. "Is it true, honey? Are you bringing someone?"

"Chitthip..."

"Oh, don't worry, Lisa. Of course I won't embarrass you!" As if that's the extent of my worries.

"No, it's not that."

"What is it, then? Is she still coming?"

"Yes, she's coming."

"She likes Hibachi, right? Rosé wants to go to that little restaurant downtown where they cook the food in front of you."

I have no idea whether or not she likes Hibachi, and I find the thought unsettling. Why do I yearn to know such trivial things about her? It shouldn't matter whether I know her favourite foods and yet, for some reason, it does.

"I don't know," I reply honestly. "I've never asked."

"Oh, well ask her!" Her tone is scolding. "If she doesn't like it I'm sure Rosé won't mind eating somewhere else. For heaven's sake, she eats everything in sight. How she stays so little is beyond me."

"Okay, Chitthip. I'll ask."

"Good. Is Rosé over there?"

"Yes."

"Well, tell her to go easy on the poor girl. You know how overbearing your sister can be sometimes."

Don't I know it.

"Don't worry, Chitthip. They seem to really be... hitting it off." God, what an understatement.

"All right, honey. I'm glad to hear that. Just call me if there's a problem with the Hibachi."

"I'm sure it'll be fine."

"Well, I'll see you in a little while. Bye, hon."

Without Chitthip's sweet, motherly voice in my ear, the silence returns, cold and harsh and unwelcoming. The girls are still upstairs, doing God-knows what, and I can't hear a peep from them. I have an overwhelming desire to sneak upstairs and check on them, but I refrain, recognizing girl-time when I see it. If I learned one thing growing up, it was that you never crossed Rosé during girl-bonding time; hot irons and tweezers make for some lethal ammunition.

I sigh and resume the movie, figuring I can watch a bit more to pass the time. It's actually very entertaining, though not something I expected Jennie to recommend. It's strange, but I find myself drawn to her unpredictability.

I try to focus on the movie - I try really fucking hard, in fact - but it's useless. My mind is swimming. Most of the time I spend staring at the screen, seeing but not absorbing the scenes, my thoughts just one overlapping picture onto another.

The movie finishes and starts over. I can't help but smirk as I see the tumbleweed again, imagining Jennie sitting here beside me. Then a door slams upstairs, causing me to jump.