Chapter 45

Lisa

After Jennie went home last night I jacked off. Twice. Then again this morning.

Jesus Christ.

I let things get a bit out of hand last night; I can admit that. I promised myself we wouldn't do anything, yet logic has a tendency to fly out the window when a girl like Jennie is licking your lips and moaning into your mouth. If she hadn't stopped me, I probably would've taken her right there, over the couch. My dick was aching for it; it would've been easy. The bet would be over - life would return to normal, for the most part. In fact, things would probably be even better.

But she stopped me.

After I return from my second meeting my assistant delivers a message. "You had a call while you were gone, Ms. Manoban. A Mr. Kai Kim Jongin. He said it was urgent and for you to call him back as soon as you could." She gives me his number.

What the fuck?

"Thank you, Jane." She nods and disappears.

What the hell could he possibly want? Most likely checking in, determining my progress - seeing if I've given up yet. I shake my head and ignore the message. I doubt anything he has to say is urgent. I'm just not in the mood to talk to him right now.

But a few minutes later Jane rings through the intercom.

"Yes, Jane?"

"Ms. Manoban, it's Mr. Kai Kim Jongin again. Would you like for me to send him through?"

I sigh. "Go ahead." Might as well get this over with. I answer quickly. "Lisa Manoban." My voice is clipped and short, as it often is when I'm annoyed.

"Hey man, what's up?" he asks casually.

"I'm working, Kai. What do you need?"

He seems put out by my tone. "Well good to hear from you, too."

"Kai..."

"So I take it things aren't going well?" he asks suggestively. I inwardly groan; I really don't feel like hearing him gloat. I really don't feel like discussing Jennie with him at all.

"Things are going fine."

"Well, it's been almost a week, dude. You only have two more. Otherwise..."
"I know, Kai. I have to get back to work. I'd appreciate it if you'd lose this number - I have a cell phone."

"I know, but you weren't answering that," is his cool reply.

"There's a reason. I am working."

"Geez, aren't you the boss, dude? You can do whatever you want."

Why the fuck does everyone think I can run a company while sitting around doing nothing all day long? For Christ's sake...

"Good-bye, Kai," I say curtly.

"All right, all right," he relents. "Keep me informed, dude."

I hang up the phone without replying. Kai has always been annoyingly persistent - where the fuck does he come off calling me at work to talk about this? It could have waited until tonight.

I've been itching to call Hae-in all day long. I can't wait to lay into that motherfucker. I'd called him last night but, as expected, he didn't answer. Straight to voicemail both times - I didn't even bother leaving a message. More than anything, I'm anxious to hear his excuses.

Around lunchtime I finally get a chance to call him.

"Bosom from Busan, your main squeeze speaking, what's up?" he answers cheerfully. What the fuck? I'm not surprised, as random and bizarre phone greetings aren't uncommon from Hae-in.

"Mind telling me what the fuck you were thinking yesterday?" I immediately snap into the receiver. There's a short pause from his end of the line.

"May I ask what you're referring to?" he finally says.

"You know what I'm referring to, Hae-in. Only you would give Jennie they key to my house and my alarm code without asking me first."

"Who, moi?" He's playing dumb, stalling for time.

"What the fuck were you thinking?" I repeat.

He turns serious, heaving a heavy sigh. "I don't know, man. She said she wanted to surprise you."

"I haven't even known her a week," I remind him.

"Well... she's friends with Jisoo," he says simply. As if being friends with Jisoo makes everything okay.

"Who you've also known less than a week."

"Did you not enjoy coming home to a beautiful woman and a home-cooked meal?" he asks snidely. He sounds impatient.

"She single-handedly demolished my kitchen," I explain, exasperated. "She even rearranged my Goddamn CD collection."

"Oh, God forbid," he mutters sarcastically. Before I can comment he adds, "You know, I think Jennie's good for you."

I'm confused. "What do you mean?"

"She obviously gets under your skin - in more ways than one, I think - yet you're still seeing her."

"You don't know that."

"So you're not still seeing her?"

"I... yes, I am..." For now, at least. I wasn't able to get much thinking done last night, what with all the jerking off.

"See," he says smugly. "Anyway, man, I got to fly. I still haven't even taken my lunch break yet - busy day today."

"Well, you're not forgiven," I say sullenly.

"I never apologised."

"Exactly."

"Peace, bro."